New York, NY 10036
Araca is seeking a Manager of Production and Development to work directly with the company’s partners in managing Araca’s production department and overseeing the development and production of new plays and musicals, revivals, and non-traditional theatrical experiences. The Manager reports directly to the CEO of Araca’s Production division, and their responsibilities cover a wide range of tasks. Primary among those responsibilities is managing the production calendar including that of the CEO. The manager must maintain a detailed logistical knowledge of every project and meeting within the department and those attended by the CEO. Equally important, the Manager will line produce a busy production slate of between five and ten projects at any one time, working closely with each project’s general management firm. Moreover, the Manager will be expected to cultivate and manage a relationship with the key creative team members on each project including the playwright, librettist, composer/lyricist, music director/music supervisor and/or director. For each show, the Manager will produce developmental readings and labs, facilitate out of town tryouts, take part in casting, marketing, and advertising, and organize and contribute to dramaturgical notes. This includes tracking expenses and working with the GM to track budget vs actual. The Manager also serves as the main point of contact for all Araca investors, providing regular updates and facilitating the completion of all investment documents, collection of investment funds and, in collaboration with Araca’s finance team, track fund raising goals for each project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Manage calendar for the Production Department and CEO.
· Work with CEO on new business development including finding and acquiring the rights to new works, reading solicited and unsolicited material and providing feedback to the partners, writers, and agents.
· Work with the partners on the selection of key creative personnel.
· Work directly with creative team, including the director and music department, on managing the dramaturgical process and providing logistical support at every step.
· Attend auditions and facilitate relationship with casting directors and associates.
· Serve as Line Producer for readings, labs and out of town productions. Work directly with general manager on logistics (including maintaining a strategic timeline and calendar), manage communication between key creative team members and create and maintain budgets.
· Attend productions, showcases, and readings to scout for new writers and properties
· Facilitate all communication and logistics with investors including the distribution and collections of all operating agreements, subscription documents, and budgets as well as the collection of investment funds.
· Maintain and develop relationships with artistic directors, commercial producers, and literary managers.
· Work with general managers, business and legal, and finance departments to ensure timely payment to authors and rights holders
· Administrative duties include assisting two of partners of the company with incoming calls, scheduling, and expenses. Setting the agenda for weekly production meetings. Sitting in and/or listening in on strategic meetings with key partners and creative team members and creating action plans post meetings.
Preferred Experience & Qualifications
The candidate will have energy, enthusiasm and passion for the theater and the entertainment industry and will bring to Araca the following experiences and qualifications:
Please submit a cover-letter, describing your interest and qualifications for the position, together with a resume and salary requirements. You must include “Manager, Production and Development” in the subject line of your email. Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls. Araca is an equal opportunity employer.