Adirondack Theatre Festival
Glens Falls, NY 12801
Adirondack Theatre Festival Seeks Managing Director
Adirondack Theatre Festival seeks full-time Managing Director to oversee and execute administrative operations. Located at the foot of the Adirondacks and three hours north of New York City, ATF is the Capitol Region’s leading professional theatre dedicated to new works. ATF produces a nine-week summer season with four full productions, a children’s dinner theatre, a cabaret series, and new play readings, along with several special events during the off-season, including the acclaimed Adirondack Film Festival. This year-round position requires a highly-motivated, self-starter with strong organizational, communication, and administrative skills, along with a positive attitude and a friendly demeanor who will partner with ATF’s Producing Artistic Director to actualize the mission, vision, and potential of ATF. Duties include bookkeeping, payroll, financial reporting, office management, marketing & development tasks, staff/intern supervision, and donor relations. An arts administration or business degree is preferred. Ideal start date is Nov. 1, 2019.
Submit cover letter, resume, and three references.
Detailed Description of Managing Director Position
While the MD reports to the Producing Artistic Director (PAD), with only two full-time staff members ATF maintains an organizational structure that is a partnership rather than a hierarchy. Together they work to bring the mission, vision and potential of ATF into reality. The successful candidate is expected to take ownership of the mission and be involved in all levels of decision-making.
ATF values our patrons and supporters as much as each production. We view our artists as guests as much as being employees. As a result, they all have unique needs and perspectives. The Managing Director must value customer service. Our patrons’ experience at ATF occurs well before the show begins—from the way an envelope is written, to appropriate tone and grammar in written communication, to picking up trash they find around the theatre.
The ideal candidate sees the impact their administrative role has on achieving institutional goals. Therefore, this person must be proactive, detail oriented, and anticipate needs and challenges. They must be an inquisitive problem solver and be able to work without a lot of direct supervision.
At the heart, ATF is a positive work environment that results in many staff and artists returning year after year. We thrive on being a leading place of employment, not only in Glens Falls, but within the theatre industry. The ideal candidate will help to facilitate this encouraging environment through an agreeable attitude and a friendly demeanor.
· Producing Artistic Director
· $33,000-$35,000 plus housing/utilities
· Health Benefits
· Two weeks paid vacation (may not be taken between May 1 and August 17)
· Company Manager, three administrative interns, and volunteers
Specific Duties include:
· Bookkeeping and payroll
· Perform accounting processes including: payroll, accounts payable/receivable, reconciling accounts, payroll taxes, audit assistance, and reports
· Bank and credit card deposits
· Weekly AEA reports during the season
· Work with PAD to develop annual budget
· Generate financial reports for Board meetings
· Office Management
· Primary contact for vendors, insurance agencies, and financial institutions
· Liaison to unions and licensing houses
· Write contracts for employees and subcontractors
· Working with the PAD to hire interns and seasonal staff
· Serve as HR and employee benefit coordinator
· IT: backup, assessing computer needs
· Database management
· Generate financial documentation for grant applications and reports
· Implement annual and business donor campaigns in consultation with the PAD
· Manage relationships and transactions with sponsors and donors
· Work with the Board, Producing Artistic Director, and volunteers to help coordinate special events and other fundraising activities
· Work with the Producing Artistic Director on grant preparation and administration.
Box Office/ Front of House:
· Oversee all Front of House staff and operations for productions including House Management, Volunteer Ushers, Concessions, etc.
· Liaison with Wood Theater Box Office staff
· Coordinate tickets for corporate sponsors, visiting artists, and charitable donations
· Generate season ticket renewal letters and communication
· Reconcile box office reports
· Royalty reporting
· Program advertising sales and coordination of business sponsor and trade ads for program
· Create season program and production inserts
· Assist in the design and implementation of all audience development strategies and promotional events
· Assist in the creation and distribution of press releases, e-blasts, and social media marketing
· Secure and coordinate staff and artist housing
· Prepare and distribute Board meeting packets
· Attend Board meetings (record minutes)
· Recruit and schedule volunteers for season and special events
· Represent the organization in public through positive interaction within the community
· Help to maintain ATF’s positive work environment
Software Knowledge Sought:
· QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite
· Experience with DonorPerfect, WordPress, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, Vendini, and Square preferred
Additional Skills Sought:
· Bulk mail, grant writing, marketing expertise, basic graphic design skills, previous experience handling Equity contracts
November 1, 2019 -
$33,000-$35,000 plus housing/utilities & benefits