New York, NY 10003
Vineyard Theatre—the non-profit Off-Broadway theatre company whose Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning productions include HARRY CLARKE, INDECENT, AVENUE Q, and HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE—is seeking a seasonal House Manager to join our team, starting immediately.
This part-time position supports the seating of guests and handling of patron issues and complaints, and is an integral part of introducing the culture of the Vineyard to the theatre’s subscribers and general audiences. The Seasonal House Manager is responsible for the safety of the public and ensuring a comfortable environment for audiences to enjoy The Vineyard and its programming. The House Manager works closely with the Director of Marketing, Box Office, concessions, volunteer ushers, and production personnel to ensure that the house opens and programs start on time, while upholding The Vineyard’s high customer service standards.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communicating with, scheduling, and training volunteer ushers and coordinating program distribution & inserts
- Preparing and communicating pre-performance informational messages for ticket holders
- Maintaining applicable attendance records, verifying nightly ticket stub count, and preparing nightly performance reports of event specifics
- Overseeing concessions managers and reconciling sales reports at the end of their shift
- Overseeing the set-up and storage of front of house equipment
- Working closely with box office to troubleshoot and report all venue access problems and ticket buyer complaints
- Directing and monitoring lobby traffic, and maintaining a safe environment for the audience
- Assisting with special projects as needed
Candidates should have experience as a House Manager in a theater or performance venue and must be computer literate, possess exemplary customer service and communication skills, and be a strong team leader. New hires will be required to get their New York State Fireguard Certification.
This position requires a flexible schedule and includes nights, weekends, matinees, and some holidays. Shifts will be scheduled based on HM availability, and are roughly 4-5 hours long depending on the show. Productions schedules are generally as follows:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:30pm (7pm show)
Friday, Saturday: 6:30pm (8pm show)
Saturday, Sunday: 1:30pm (3pm show)
By Ngozi Anyanwu, Directed by Awoye Timpo
October 11 – November 18 (with possibile extension to November 25)
Potential opportunities are available for the position to extend into the 2019-2020 season.
This is a seasonal position without benefits. Interested candidates: please send cover letter, resume, and two references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “House Manager_YOUR LAST NAME” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Vineyard Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
October 8, 2018 -