The Woolgatherers Theater Group
New York City, NY
The Woolgatherers Theater Group is now accepting script submissions for Writing for Rights, our series of 10-minute play readings.
The deadline to submit is October 16th, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
What is Writing for Rights?
In November 2019, The Woolgatherers will be hosting several nights of short play readings to benefit New Sanctuary Coalition. New Sanctuary Coalition is a New York-based and immigrant-led organization working to stop the inhumane system of deportations and detentions in this country. We’re looking for 10-minute plays, in any style and about any topic, to be a part of our nights of readings.
Readings will be held at bars, churches, community centers, and other public spaces in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. The Woolgatherers and all the artists taking part in this event stand in solidarity with immigrant communities, and all of the proceeds will go to New Sanctuary Coalition.
What are we looking for?
If you are a playwright, writer, deviser, or theater-maker who works with words, you’re welcome to submit one of the following:
1. A complete 10-minute piece that you’d like to present as part of our night of readings.
2. A 10-minute sample of your work and a proposal for a 10-minute piece you’d like to write/devise/create to present as part of our night of readings. Your work sample can be either another ten-minute piece or a ten-minute excerpt of a longer work.
Your submission must meet these requirements:
1. It must not have a director already attached to it, as one of the goals for this series is to introduce playwrights and directors who might work together in the future.
2. You may not direct the play yourself.
3. It must be either a 10-minute play or a proposal for a 10-minute play.
4. Your play can be in any stage of the process. You’re welcome to submit an early draft that you’ll workshop with a director or a play that’s already been produced elsewhere.
5. There are no thematic or stylistic restrictions on your piece. We’re looking for work in a wide variety of styles, so all types of theater pieces are welcome.
6. You must be available to attend at least one rehearsal of your play in New York City in October or early November.
You can fill out our application at this link (and attach your play or work sample directly to the application): https://forms.gle/WZC8fZjjKZdA88wo8
What’s the timeline?
The deadline to submit your play is October 16th, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
You’ll hear back from us about whether or not you’ve been selected by the end of October.
You’ll rehearse in early November, and readings will take place in late November.
Contact us at email@example.com.
October 16, 2019 - November 30, 2019