We are looking for a highly efficient and technically skilled Production Manager. The Production Manager will manage 3-4 tours per year, and must have excellent communication skills. The PM is responsible for realizing the vision of the creative team including the Executive Producer, Director, Choreographer, and Designers. The PM hires, manages, and oversees all production staff and production elements for assigned tours. The PM must maintain a high level of artistic integrity while meeting the budget and schedule requirements and ensuring a safe and healthy work environment for all artistic and production personnel. Additionally, the PM collaborates with the Senior Director of Production Management and other Production Department members to develop ongoing training and development systems, as well as department operational procedures and processes. Success in the role requires people skills, the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple projects simultaneously, attention to detail, a deep passion for theatre, and the ability to work independently while communicating effectively within the organization, with creative teams, and partners.
Pre-Production and Production
- Develop, manage and maintain production budget, monitoring expenditures.
- Oversee and maintain the production schedule for each production.
- Oversee the bid and award process, and the build/development of scenic, lighting, audio, and costume/hair packages for the production.
- Contract and supervise the production personnel, ensuring all staff members are well trained and that all responsibilities are executed in a safe and responsible manner. This includes developing a process and plan for replacement staff, managing any local labor issues, etc.
- Create and maintain technical riders, documentation and inventories for each production.
- Coordinate rehearsal needs including labor, costume space, etc.
- Oversee the tech period including securing/negotiating tech space, advance, prep team, develop schedule, etc.
- Develop and manage load-in and load-out plans and systems for each tour, including creating truck packs and road orders, manifest and border coordination, manage any trucking or venue issues, ensuring production can operating efficiently and meet budget and schedule requirements.
- Develop and maintain communication systems and processes with road staff.
- Develop and oversee the maintenance plans for each physical production ensuring all productions meet or exceed all safety requirements/standards.
- Oversee the coordination of the close out of a production when necessary, including the management and maintenance of any rental returns.
- Assist with the development and training of production department personnel.
- Assist with the development of global policies and procedures including trucking packages, warehouse storage processes, debrief systems, safety procedures, routing issues, etc.
- Develop budget proposals as needed for business development.
- Ensure all production files and tour information is properly archived.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
This role is expected to help create a professional work environment and is required to work variety of locations and venues. Must be able to travel, work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed. Must be able to adapt to multiple buildings / theater venues and work long hours during the technical period(s) in dimly lit environments. Must be able to travel in multiple modes of transportation; plane, train, cars. Must be able to perform functions of position remotely with varied temporary work spaces.
Ability to travel via air/train/vehicle and bussing for an extended period of time. The ability to work varied hours due to show requirements and needs during the production and operating period. The ability to perform job responsibilities in a high stress, crisis management environment and manage multiple staff members’ requirements and priorities and the ability to manage and balance multiple projects. Must be able to travel for an extended overnight period(s).
Education and Experience
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as a production manager in a theatrical environment.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to collaborate with multiple personalities and types of positions (e.g. Director, Producer, technicians, etc.)
- Computer proficiency and experience with Word, Excel and Adobe is a must.
- Understand basic accounting terms and practices. Business math and finance knowledge a plus and proficiency with spreadsheets using complex formulas.
- Must have experience managing people to obtain desired outcomes using appropriate communication.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Must have experience working with CAD or Vectorworks.
- Must be familiar with standard office equipment to perform necessary job functions: computer, printer/scanner/fax etc.
This position may work remotely. Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Our mission is to be the preferred touring production company within the theatrical community by developing outstanding value, continuous innovation and an exceptional audience experience by consistently fulfilling our promise to bring the Broadway experience to stages everywhere.
Founded in 1995 by Ken Gentry, NETworks Presentations LLC is an industry leader, producing and managing multiple domestic and international touring productions each year. As a full service production company, NETworks’ experienced staff provides producing, general management, production management, marketing, financial and accounting services for touring Broadway musicals. NETworks employs hundreds of talented actors, musicians, road managers and stage technicians on an annual basis. NETworks also rents theatrical costumes, props and full production sets that are managed and maintained in a 41,000 sq. ft. warehouse.
NETworks provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family or parental status, age, veteran or disability status, or other protected status.