San Francisco, CA
Call Type: EPA
Bay Area Theatre
Minimum - $436/wk
Directed by Delia MacDougall and Jim Cave
Artistic Directors: Susan Harloe and JoAnne Winter
Casting Assistant: Annette Koehn
First Rehearsal: August 6th, 2019
First Preview: September 11th, 2019
Opening: September 21st, 2019
Closing: October 12th, 2019
All performances take place at Z Space, 450 Florida St. SF
Rehearsal location is tbd
An Equity Monitor will not be provided. The producer will run all aspects of this audition.
Equity’s contracts prohibit discrimination. Equity is committed to diversity and encourages all its employers to engage in a policy of equal employment opportunity designed to promote a positive model of inclusion. As such, Equity encourages performers of all ethnicities, gender identities, and ages, as well as performers with disabilities, to attend every audition.
Always bring your Equity Membership card to auditions.
Z Space/ Word for Word is seeking a cast that reflects the world and we encourage actors of color, Trans/Nonbinary/GNC actors to audition. All actors will play multiple characters/ages. Experience with classical text and movement is helpful but not a requirement.
Word for Word is a theater company that performs shorts works of fiction in their entirety, and in September of 2019, brings to life the epic poetic masterpiece of Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a “green parable” that explores man’s destructive effect on the natural world. It is a journey of the imagination, a psychedelic sea voyage, floating on dream logic, and steered by pure delight in language, in repetition and rhyme, a symphony of sound, a testament to the power and potency of words. An ancient man of the sea stops a youth on his way to a celebration and the spellbound youth is told the story of a macabre sea voyage: a ship, blown off course, gets stuck in the Antarctic ice, a Mariner thoughtlessly takes the life of an albatross and the mariner and crew are subjected to a nightmarish revenge by the spirit of the polar region.
50-70. Male. Any ethnicity.
- Description in text: long, lank and brown, ancient white haired, boney.
- A man haunted by his past, possessed by a need to tell his tale.
- A man with “strange powers of speech.”
- Experience with classical texts, Shakespeare, skillful with poetic language.
Wedding Guest/Young Mariner
20-mid 30’s. Male. Any ethnicity.
- An arrogant, carefree, pompous youth at the start of the story.
- Depth of emotion.
- Experience with classical texts, Shakespeare, skillful with language, clear articulation.
- Good mover, strong physicality.
- Does not have to have any resemblance to Ancient Mariner.
35-70’s. Male. Any ethnicity.
- Character actor, plays Sun, Hermit, possibly Death.
- As Sun: jovial, cruel, arrogant, bombastic, leonine, takes center stage, bigger than life.
- As Hermit: wizened by life experiences, compassionate.
35-70’s. Any gender. Any ethnicity.
- weathered, salty, experienced; experience on board a ship/boat is useful.
- Strong movement and language skills.
- Is also the Pilot of the Skiff-boat.
(2) Sailor Crew
20’s-40’s. Any gender. Any ethnicity.
- Strong movement and language skills.
- Hearty, muscular, ability to work with heights, lifting, hoisting, etc.
Pilot’s Boy/Sailor Crew/The Nephew of the young Mariner
20-30’s. Any gender. POC.
- The youngest member of the crew.
- Is also an assistant to the Pilot of the Skiff-boat
10 minute time slots are available; please contact Annette Koehn, casting assistant, at email@example.com with the subject line “Rime Auditions Request” to schedule an audition time. For any questions related to auditions, please contact Annette Koehn.
470 Florida Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
Little street parking but close to 16th street BART station.
Monday, February 25, 2019
12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Break: 4:00PM - 5:00PM
Please prepare a short (3 minute) dramatic Shakespearean or classical monologue, if possible with some movement.