Brooklyn, NY 11217
Spring 2018 Internships
The Civilians is currently seeking Artistic/Literary and Arts Management Interns for Spring 2018. This is a wonderful opportunity for a college, graduate student, or recent graduate, to be part of a dynamic, responsive and growing theater company, whose mission is to strengthen connections between theater and society. All internships ask for a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week from January – June 2018. Interns receive a monthly transportation stipend to cover their travel expenses, and school credit is available for eligible candidates.
About The Civilians:
The Civilians is a theater company dedicated to creating and producing work that dynamically engages our broader social and political environment. Since its founding in 2001 by Artistic Director Steve Cosson and a company of artists, The Civilians has achieved acclaim as the premier investigative theater company in the country. The Obie award-winning group draws from community interviews, research, residencies, and other methods to devise innovative work that explores some of today’s most intriguing topics. Now in its 17th year, its productions have taken the stage at notable theaters such as the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Playwrights Horizons, The Public Theater, La Jolla Playhouse and the American Repertory Theater, as well as at arts presenters and festivals in over 40 cities around the globe. Visit www.thecivilians.org for more information.
The Artistic/Literary Intern will work directly with the Artistic Director and Literary Manager on current and upcoming artistic and research projects.
· Assist the Artistic Director in preparation for upcoming productions.
· Organize interview and artistic databases.
· Act as a liaison between the Artistic Director and other artists working with the company.
· Manage script submissions
· Read and evaluate scripts
· Help organize readings and workshops.
· Provide general office support to the Artistic Staff.
· Occasional dramaturgical research
Ideal candidates will be detail oriented, independent workers, and confident in taking initiative.
ARTS MANAGEMENT INTERN
The Arts Management Intern will support the Producing Director and Development team on day-to-day management and administration. Responsibilities include:
· Support all Development initiatives, both individual and institutional, encompassing donor relations, organizing and executing fundraising appeals, editing grant proposals, and special events.
· Enhance communications initiatives through the creation of content for social media, the organization of mailing lists, and long-term communications planning.
· Offer General Management and Company Management support, as needed.
· Offer administrative support to staff.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and understanding of current social media platforms is required.
Ideal candidates will work well independently, possess an attention to detail, and have a passion for the arts with a direct interest in learning about all facets of arts management and administration.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and completed application to email@example.com by Monday, November 27, 2017. Please indicate internship preference in application materials. The Civilians is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to diversity.
January 15, 2018 - June 15, 2018