The Play Company is accepting applications for its Spring 2020 Internship Program in the areas of Producing, Marketing, Literary and Development. Our Internships offer excellent opportunities for emerging arts professionals to gain practical, hands-on experience in a professional and inclusive theatre setting. With mentoring from our staff, interns will collaborate on a diverse array of projects, and our goal is to provide tools & resources that enable interns to grow into qualified professionals in the field.
We are currently seeking interns in the following areas for Spring 2020:
This arts management internship focuses on developing skills in theatre production and general management. Reporting to the General Management Fellow and working closely with the Managing Director, Founding Producer, and Director of Producing, the Producing Intern will learn valuable skills involved in producing a full scale production including contracts management, researching and securing production materials, union relations, accounting practices, and liaising between artistic, technical, and administrative members of the production team. This intern will also learn skills involved with managing a small Off Broadway company.
- Collect and process all artistic and crew paperwork including contracts, time sheets, deal memos, tax forms, and other required materials.
- Research and secure production materials as needed by the producing, production, or artistic staff.
- Assist in the creation of reports and payments due to artist unions.
- Collect reconciled monthly credit card statements and receipts from each department and enter into Quickbooks.
- General office management under the direction of the General Management Fellow, including maintaining office calendar, supplies, and equipment.
- Assist in processing office accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- General administrative & office duties.
- Assist staff as needed.
The Play Company Marketing Department develops and executes marketing campaigns for our 2 annual productions, maintains the website, manages PlayCo’s social media channels and actively supports promotion of other activities and events throughout the year. Reporting to the Marketing Fellow and working closely with the Managing Director and Founding Producer, the Marketing Intern plays a pivotal role in the growth of PlayCo’s brand and public profile. The Marketing Department works in tandem with our Development Department to grow audiences, awareness, and support of the organization.
- Assist the Marketing Fellow on all production campaigns and organizational communications.
- Research and develop Marketing collateral for the upcoming production cycles.
- Assist in grass roots efforts for production/event marketing.
- Develop and create content for social media platforms under the guidance of the Marketing Fellow.
- Assist in the management of social media and collateral to ensure the PlayCo brand has a strong presence and accurate representation.
- Assist the Marketing Fellow in devising ticketing strategies.
- Coordinate website updates.
- General administrative & office duties.
The Literary Internship is ideal for students or recent graduates interested in learning about literary management, script analysis, artistic season planning, dramaturgy, and community engagement. The Literary Intern will report to the Literary Fellow and will work closely with the Director of Producing & Artistic Development and the Founding Producer.
The Literary Intern will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist Literary Consultant and Literary Fellow on researching, soliciting and evaluating plays;
- Assist with and attend weekly programming and reader meetings;
- Assist with production dramaturgy projects, as needed;
- Support Literary Fellow with Idea Lab planning and event execution;
- Maintain the script database and the tracking of submissions;
- Correspond with playwrights and agents, as assigned;
- Plan and write dramaturgical articles for the website;
- Collaborate as needed with other PlayCo staff and interns on additional assignments (including work on productions or special events, such as our annual gala in the Spring).
The Development Intern provides critical support to the Development staff on the execution of grant applications, management of fundraising databases, and preparation for special events and the annual spring campaign. Reporting to the Development Assistant and working closely with the Managing Director, the Development Internship will receive experience in fundraising strategy, board correspondence, and donor cultivation. The Development team works in tandem with the Marketing Department to perform outreach and communicate with a wide base of funders.
- Maintain organized database entries of individual donations and institutional grant awards.
- Process donations and generate acknowledgement letters.
- Manage creation of mailing lists and content for annual spring campaign.
- Assist in gathering supplemental materials for execution of grant applications.
- Provide support for special fundraising events, including the annual gala.
- Perform research of potential funding opportunities.
- Assist PlayCo staff in general administrative duties as needed.
The Special Events intern will actively manage several components of PlayCo’s annual gala, Cabaret Gourmet, scheduled for Monday, May 4, 2020. Reporting to the Development Assistant, the Special Events Intern will work closely with our Development staff and outside event planning consultants to prepare and execute PlayCo’s largest annual fundraising event. Eligible applicants must be available all day on Monday, May 4, 2020.
- Conducting research for potential auction items.
- Manage correspondence with gala patrons and donors.
- Assist Event Producers in the day to day planning of the event.
- Perform outreach to auction item donors and coordinate remittance of donated lots.
- Coordinate event communication with the marketing team.
- Provide support the night of the gala with set-up and ensuring the gala and auction flow smoothly.
- Assist PlayCo staff with general administrative duties as needed.
Qualifications for ideal Internship applicants:
- Knowledge of the performing arts industry.
- Reliable and detail-oriented.
- Superior time-management and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing & communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work setting.
- Strong sense of initiative and autonomous work ethic.
About The Play Company:
The Play Company, PlayCo, is an OBIE Award-winning Off Broadway theatre production company. Now in its nineteenth season, PlayCo develops and produces adventurous new plays from the U.S. and around the world to engage New Yorkers in a dynamic global experience of contemporary theatre, and expand the American theatre repertoire. As the only New York theatre regularly producing outstanding contemporary plays from abroad alongside new American work, PlayCo’s distinctive international programming links American theatre with world theatre, American artists with the global creative community, and American audiences with a whole world of plays.
PlayCo fosters a positive learning environment for interns and invests in systems to ensure your experience will yield invaluable experience and skills across all disciplines. We afford interns the following opportunities.
- Monthly check-ins with your dedicated supervisor to create and assess learning goals, work plans, challenges, successes, and discuss any other aspects of your internship.
- Dedicated time with all staff members outside your area (i.e. marketing intern will sit down with the Director of Producing) to create a holistic perspective on creating professional theatre.
- Most internships will offer training in systems crucial to your discipline. (i.e. the producing internship will learn or bolster existing skills in Quickbooks).
- Monthly check-ins with the full intern cohort and intern coordinator to share experiences, troubleshoot challenges, and foster new professional relationships with your peers.
- Dedicated projects in your area to provide a meaningful experience that will bolster your resume for future opportunities.
Time Commitments & Stipend:
The Internship Program will begin at or near the start of each school semester, including summer. Start and end dates are flexible. We ask for a minimum commitment of 20 hours/week for all internships. Weekly schedules are flexible to navigate class schedules and other employment. PlayCo offers a monthly travel stipend by pre-purchasing an unlimited monthly MetroCard for all interns who commit to a minimum of 20 hours/week. Academic credit is also available where applicable.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Renée E. Schwartz, General Management Fellow, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify your area(s) of interest (Development, Production etc.)
The Play Company is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels: on our stage, in our audience, on our staff, and within our leadership. We strongly encourage candidates of color and from under-represented communities to apply.
We are also accepting applications for future semesters for applicants pursuing internships in advance.
January 13, 2020 - May 22, 2020