American Conservatory Theater
San Francisco, CA
DATE: September 19, 2019
STATUS: Full Time/Seasonal/Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
SALARY & BENEFITS: I.A.T.S.E. Local 16
RATE: $27.29 per hour / Overtime $40.94
SCHEDULE: Schedule varies. Evenings and weekend hours required during tech and performance periods. Seasonal Employment is generally (22) weeks per season.
Scope: American Conservatory Theater seeks a Head Carpenter for the Strand Rembe Theater (LORT C) for its subscription programs. The Head Carpenter is a working member of the stage crew and shall be primarily responsible for leading load in, installation, setup of scenery, props, other stage elements as well as supervising and training the overhire stage crew in areas of scenery, automation, fly, rigging and stage props. The Head Carpenter shall participate in all areas of production where necessary including but not limited to props, electrics, sound, video or other production needs.
· Setup and strike scenery, properties, soft goods and other stage elements for productions.
· Working with the scene shop to safely install scenery and properties for productions.
· Participate as running crew for all productions.
· Oversee and perform scenic and properties maintenance for productions.
· Communicate scenery information clearly in collaboration with other production areas for the success of the production.
· Take responsibility for the cleanliness of the physical stage, grid, loft, stage wings, trap room, and the smooth transition of scenery between the stage and any offstage storage areas.
· Oversee and train over hire crew as required.
· Ensure that scenic automated gear is properly and safely installed.
· Simple fabrication or amendment of scenery pieces as required.
· Maintain venue tools and equipment.
· Maintain a list of venue consumables that need to replenish for each season.
· Attend pre-production meetings and tech notes if required.
· Any other production related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
· 2 plus years of professional experience in theatrical installation, scenic construction, stage supervision in a theater environment (LORT preferred)
· Hands on leadership, creative problem solving and critical thinking required.
· Strong verbal, interpersonal communication skills and writing skills.
· Demonstrated skills of theatrical carpentry, welding, rigging, automation, knot-tying, soft goods, scenic props, basic scenic paints.
· Demonstrated skills to operate carpentry hand tools and power tools, ladders and lifts proficiently.
· Working knowledge of theatrical rigging practices and chain motor rigging. ETCP rigging certification highly desirable.
· Complete understanding of backstage etiquette. A good working knowledge of technical theatre practices.
· Capable of understanding and interpreting technical plans, and paperwork.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word, PowerPoint, Autocad and Vectorworks
· Valid Drivers’ license and clean DMV record required.
· This position is physical in nature. The ability to climb ladders, lifts, catwalks, grids, reach above head. Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, push, pull and lift up to 40 pounds and repeatedly ascend and descend stairs is essential.
· Handle oneself in a professional & positive manner whilst working in close collaboration designers, directors, artists and stage managers
· Work in a detail oriented manner, be resourceful and flexible, and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing
· Excellent work ethic and ability to work well in a team.
· Effectively problem solve and troubleshoot
· Face demanding situations with tenacity, diplomacy, and sensitivity under pressure
· Work irregular hours, evening hours, long hours and weekend as required
Send cover letter and resume to Strand Rembe Head Carpenter Search at email@example.com.
Deadline: Open till filled.
First Date of Employment: October 1st, 2019
What we look for in our staff: the ability to imagine, the energy to create and explore new ideas and the freedom of spirit to celebrate our diverse community. To learn more about A.C.T., visit our website at www.act-sf.org. No calls, please. EOE.
Diversity makes us stronger. A.C.T. is committed to diversity in its programming and creating an inclusive work culture and environment that is reflective of the San Francisco Bay Area. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
October 1, 2019 -