American Conservatory Theater
San Francisco, CA
DATE: September 19, 2019
STATUS: Full Time/Seasonal/Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
SALARY & BENEFITS: I.A.T.S.E. Local 16
RATE: $27.29 per hour / Overtime $40.94
SCHEDULE: Schedule varies. Evenings and weekend hours required during tech and performance periods. Seasonal Employment is generally (22) weeks per season.
Scope: American Conservatory Theater seeks a Head Sound for the Strand Rembe Theater (LORT C) for its subscription programs. The Head Sound is a working member of the stage crew and shall be primarily responsible for leading load in, installation, setup of all Sound elements for the show as well as supervising and training the overhire stage crew in areas of live Sound. The Head Sound shall participate in all areas of production where necessary including but not limited to scenery, props, electrics, sound, video or other production needs. Potential for additional offered work days and weeks on events and rentals.
· Coordinate and oversee the setup and strike of audio systems for Subscription shows, including set up of any speakers, microphones, consoles & other equipment as required.
· Program the sound console and work as Sound operator for all technical rehearsals and performances on subscription shows, and other shows as assigned
· Assist in coordinating any rental equipment with the Production manager and Sound Designer.
· Work with the Sound designer to program Qlab cues for the show
· Operate sound elements for the show including operating QLab and live mixing of mics, instruments and any other sound elements.
· Coordinate the set up of any cue lights and video monitors
· Participate as run crew for all productions.
· Communicate audio information clearly in collaboration with other production areas for the success of the production
· Work with and communicate with other departments to maintain a unified and organized crew
· During “tech”, attend and participate in all post rehearsal and post performance tech notes sessions.
· Take responsibility for the cleanliness of the Sound booth & sound storage room
· Oversee and train over hire crew as required.
· Maintain venue equipment & coordinate external repairs & service as required.
· Maintain a list of venue consumables that need to replenish for each season.
· Attend pre-production meetings if required.
· Keep informed and up to date with advanced knowledge about changes, training and technical advancements in the industry
· Any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
· 2 plus years of professional experience in live sound in a theater environment (LORT preferred)
· Working knowledge current sound technologies including but not limited to Yamaha, Meyer, Dante, Shure
· Ability to balance and tune an audio system.
· Proficient with programming QLAB and a Yamaha CL3
· Knowledge of Meyer Galileo & Dante systems.
· Hands on leadership, creative problem solving and critical thinking required.
· Strong verbal, interpersonal communication skills and writing skills.
· Complete understanding of backstage etiquette. A good working knowledge of technical theatre practices.
· Capable of understanding and interpreting technical plans, and paperwork.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office as well a Mac & PC operating systems
· This position is physical in nature. The ability to climb ladders, lifts, catwalks, grids, reach above head. Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, push, pull and lift up to 40 pounds and repeatedly ascend and descend stairs is essential.
· Handle oneself in a professional & positive manner whilst working in close collaboration designers, directors, artists and stage managers
· Work in a detail-oriented manner, be resourceful and flexible, and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
· Organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing
· Excellent work ethic and ability to work well in a team.
· Effectively problem solve and troubleshoot
· Face demanding situations with tenacity, diplomacy, and sensitivity under pressure
· Work irregular hours, evening hours, long hours and weekend as required
Send cover letter and resume to Strand Rembe Head Sound Search at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Open till filled.
First Date of Employment: October 1st, 2019
What we look for in our staff: the ability to imagine, the energy to create and explore new ideas and the freedom of spirit to celebrate our diverse community. To learn more about A.C.T., visit our website at www.act-sf.org. No calls, please. EOE.
Diversity makes us stronger. A.C.T. is committed to diversity in its programming and creating an inclusive work culture and environment that is reflective of the San Francisco Bay Area. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
October 1, 2019 -