Fordham Preparatory School
Bronx, NY 10458
Founded in 1841, Fordham Prep is a Catholic Jesuit college preparatory school for young men. With approximately 1000 students enrolled in grades 9-12, Fordham Prep draws young men of diverse backgrounds from throughout the boroughs of New York City and its surrounding suburbs. For over 175 years, Fordham Prep has been located on the historic Rose Hill Campus in the Bronx, alongside property of Fordham University with whom it shares several facilities.
Fordham Prep’s mission is to form leaders committed to faith, scholarship, and service through a college preparatory education in the Catholic Jesuit tradition.
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR: SET DESIGNER/MASTER CARPENTER POSITION
Fordham Prep seeks a professional, skilled carpenter to serve as our technical director. Looking for someone to work on site at least twice a week, for both of our theatrical productions (September 23rd-November 19th; December 9th – February 11th), with the understanding that the number of working days will increase as we move closer to tech week. It's important to note that during the rehearsal periods of the second show, students are on vacation from 12/19-1/5. Schedule is flexible and will be developed with the Producer to ensure completion of tasks. Our student crew work time typically runs 3:00pm-5:00pm and will increase in time during tech week. The Leonard Theatre is a gorgeous, 975 seat theatre with a 40' proscenium, plentiful work space with street level load in, and a rigging system.
In coordination with and reporting to the Producer, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Have a proficient and working knowledge of construction materials and tools, set design, lighting design (ideal), stage rigging, stage management and/or production management, and professional standards of stage safety.
* Work collaboratively and professionally with the production team and school employees.
* Oversee, coordinate, and engage students, who have a range of technical skills, on technical stagecraft while developing a collaborative atmosophere for student learning and skill development. Ability to assign tasks appropriately.
* Implement the design plan of the set after initial discussions/agreement with directorial team on concept, organize the building/painting/set decoration, ensuring completion by tech week, and make changes based on feedback from directors and the producer.
* Maintain safety, organization, and efficiency of all theatre technical facilities: physical plant, hard and soft goods, stage rigging, construction area.
* Assess materials needed for the set with approvals by the producer based on budgetary restrictions.
* Coordinating with the producer on post-production strike and cleanup of all facilities, materials and equipment within two days of the performance.
The ideal candidates will have strong experience working with high school students. The selected applicant will need to comply with a background check and complete an Ethical Boundaries requirement.
Resume review and interviews will take place immediately; the position will be filled shortly thereafter. You will only be contacted if we seek an interview. Please send a letter stating personal interest, a comprehensive resume, and the names and phone numbers of at least two references (who will not be contacted until later in the interview process) by email attachment to the email below. Please include the position being sought in the subject line.
September 16, 2019 - February 11, 2020