The Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Insitute
New York, NY 10003
The Technical Director holds responsibility for all technical operations of the school theatre spaces, acts as a resource for guests designers, and leads production crews in set costruction/lighting installations. Proficiency in all theatrical technical elements including scenic, carpentry, sound, lighting, projections, and stage management required. Reports to the Producing Manager and School President.
They will organize and lead load-ins, strikes, and technical rehearsals as well as oversee performances and general maintenance of two 90-seat theaters with the aid of the Producing Manager.
Additional responsibilities include:
-Leading contruction of all scenic elements designed by guest artist
- Maintaining technical equipment for both theatres, including tools, lighting instruments, speakers, etc.
- Maintaining the building’s inventories of props and costumes.
- Determining the costs of scenic, lighting and sound designs and advising the designers and Producing Manager on how to carry out designs within the given budget.
- Safely constructing and executing all scenic, lighting and sound designs with the aid of the designers.
- Attending all technical and dress rehearsals, production meetings, and some performances as needed.
- Operate lighting/sound boards for quarterly Conservatory performances and other Institute produced events as well as coordinate all technical elements for these events.
- Candidates must have practical knowledge of all aspects of technical theatre, drafting software (Vectorworks, Lightwright), carpentry skills, proficiency with ETC lighting consoles(Express, Nomad) and basic electrician skills, knowledge of sound equipment.
- A creative problem solver who is capable of quickly troubleshooting technical theater elements.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs and comfortable lifting and carrying loads up stairs. Must be comfortable working on a ladder at 10ft.
We are seeking someone who will bring their passion for the work to our small team of dedicated professionals and talented student body.
A full semester includes 3 full productions, 2 showcases, and up to 4 additional events.
January 20, 2020 -