Berkeley, CA 94704
The Tony Award-winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre seeks a full-time Video Supervisor. Specifically, the video supervisor:
· Works alongside the Video and/or Scenic Designers and Directors for each production ensuring the video design is executed in accordance with the budget, design, and artistic goals for the production.
· Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Video Department for the Theatre.
· Responsible for coordinating their work alongside the work of the other technical departments and in collaboration with the designer and director.
· In absence of Video Designer, create content for productions.
· Report to the Sound Supervisor.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to:
· Collaborate with the Video Designer and director on each production to ensure the video design is executed in accordance with the artistic goals of each project
o Implement the vision of the video designer
o Oversee all video elements during the tech process and run of each production
o Maintain the integrity of the design throughout the run of the production
o Ensure all video equipment is maintained and kept in good working order
o Coordinate with the rest of the production department to attain common goals and deadlines while remaining on budget
· Oversee the Video Department staff; including hiring , training and developing
o Hire, supervise, and schedule all overhire video technicians
o Develop and maintain video department overhire pool
o Train running crews as necessary
o Develop and manage the work schedules for the video department
o Oversee and submit the payroll for all video department overhire
· Work with Sound team when needed to execute the sound design of productions
o Familiarity with production sound techniques and practices preferred
o Act in a supervisory role in sound departments when needed.
· Ensure and promote safe working conditions.
o Instill and nurture a safe, efficient, and effective working environment in the Video and Sound Departments
o Conduct safety training regularly
o Maintain industry standards, electrical codes, weight and limitations of performance spaces
· Oversee the video budget for each production
o Spec and rent appropriate video equipment as necessary
o Negotiate with vendors to keep within budgets
o Track and record expenditures
o Reconcile transactions and reporting with production administration and the finance department
· Maintain all video files ensuring the records of all productions are archived and easily accessible
· Maintain, inventory, and monitor all CCTV cameras and equipment for use backstage and front of house
· Coordinate video needs for various events outside of Berkeley Rep main season’s productions.
Preferred candidate will possess:
· Proficiency in the following software: Dataton Watchout, d3, Isadora, Qlab, Microsoft Office
· Knowledge of Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, Vectorworks or AutoCAD are preferred
· Knowledge of basic computer networking, and proficiency in both Windows and Mac operating systems
· Skills should include soldering and basic repair, basic electrical knowledge and load capacities, and basic rigging
· Basic knowledge of audio signal flow and principles
· Ability to work in dangerous and highly stressful situations involving electrical equipment
· Must be able to use ladders and Genie Lifts comfortably, and work at varying heights
· Must have 20/20 vision (with or without corrective lenses)
· Ability to occasionally lift 50lbs
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred or a minimum of 5 years professional experience in video.
Berkeley Rep offers full benefits including vacation, sick days, and healthcare. Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth.
Position available immediately. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a resume without delay. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
Berkeley Rep is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Email submissions only. Send only PDF files, no web links to:
email@example.com with the subject “Video Supervisor.” Only complete submissions will be considered.