Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (AAADT), one of the world’s premier dance institutions is seeking a highly motivated and personable Company Manager to support the administrative efforts of AAADT’s 52 member touring dance company. In this fast paced environment the Company Manager will support the efforts of the Production Department for domestic and international tour engagements, average 25 weeks of each year, as well as performing annually in New York City.
This full-time position involves extensive travel and the Company Manager will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Company at the Company’s home office in New York City and while on tour. The Company Manager will oversee, manage and support all tour logistics for the Artistic staff, dancers, crew as well as guest choreographers and artists. The Company Manager will work closely with the Director of Production, Technical Director and Production Stage Manager, planning and budgeting for all touring operations.
The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of and experience with a professional touring dance company or other performing arts organization. Relevant experience will include presenter relations, tour management, theatrical production, and foreign work permit/visa applications.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Company related responsibilities:
• Assist Director of Production and Artistic Directors in planning for seasons
• Create an annual budget for all travel and administrative needs for AAADT
• Coordinate all travel and tour logistics for AAADT and guest artists
• Monthly receipt reconciliation for petty cash and American Express charges
• Prepare and manage all aspects of weekly payroll and related paperwork for the Company and also, in conjunction with Finance, oversee unemployment claims.
• Manage workers compensation claims and paperwork including verification and tracking of sick leave, time loss, etc… in coordination with insurance company
• Act as liaison between the Company and local presenters and Ailey administrative staff
• Be knowledgeable of and monitor organizational compliance with Dancer (AGMA) and Crew (IATSE) Collective Bargaining Agreements, administrate and execute terms of agreement; encourage ongoing communication and relationship building with AGMA delegates/ IATSE steward
• Create all itineraries based on confirmed dates from Director of Production
• Coordinate touring logistics including travel, hotel, ground transfers and per diem distribution and support Company members throughout touring experience including pre and post travel needs
• Manage engagement advance coordination and foster a positive working relationship with presenters/promoters and performance venue staff and resolve issues of use of agreement compliance, schedule or settlement of fees/revenue
• Serve as AAADT company representative with presenters and general public
• Procurement and Coordination of travel visas as necessary for company business
• Coordinate with physical therapists and identify medical assistance for ill or injured company members, as required
• Coordinate with Public Relations and Marketing departments to execute scheduled interviews between local media outlets and dancers
• Work with Arts In Education (AIE) to execute outreach between local studios/theaters and dancers
• Work with Development Department to execute backstage tours/meet and greets
• Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
Required Skills, Qualifications and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and/or a minimum of five years experience in touring with dance and/or theatrical production
• Ability to work a demanding schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays and be away from home for extended periods of time.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, organizational skills and attention to detail. Multi-lingual abilities a plus.
• Ability to take initiative, multi-task, and work graciously in a fast paced environment
• Previous supervisory experience required
• Experience working with artist unions and collective bargaining agreements
• Technical/Computer Skills: Windows and Mac OS and MS Office, Internet proficient
• Must have a valid driver’s license and passport
Benefits include: health/dental insurance, flexible spending account, 403(b) retirement plan, and commuter benefits
To apply for this position please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: Indicate Company Manager in the subject line:
• Cover letter, resume and salary requirements
• Contact information for two references
No Phone Calls Please
Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Application Deadline: Interviews will commence August 4 to August 15, 2014. Position to be filled ASAP.