New York, NY 10014
Support all production aspects of projects and rentals for two performance spaces: the HB Theatre and HB’s First Floor Studio under the direction of the Production Manager of HB Studio and the artistic leadership of the HB Studio, work to support, translate, and further HB’s evolving program for the creation and presentation of new and rediscovered works. Through these activities support the mission and vision of this theater collective founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over a thousand students per term, and where accomplished emerging and experienced artists are given opportunities to develop their work in collaborative performance projects.
Responsibilities/skills needed include: strong carpentry skills, budgeting (time and resources), hand or CAD drafting, electrician skills, audio engineering, stage management, projections, scenic painting, and experience with MAC computers. HB Studio is looking for a highly organized person that works well with professionals as well as interns, students, and volunteers. The House Technician must be very resourceful with stock materials, personnel, and vendors, must keep all storage, work and venue areas safe, well organized, and running smoothly. Be able to efficiently move between carpentry, facility care, shopping, clerical, prop, costume organization, and electrics. Sewing skills are a plus.
• BA or BFA degree in theatre with extensive theatrical production experience
• Extensive experience with computerized lighting, audio, and video
• Comprehensive experience with carpentry/electrician hand and power tools, as well as safety procedures.
• Excellent computer skills including MS Office and Mac platforms; knowledge of budgeting and scheduling applications is helpful
• Exceptional organizational skills: detail-oriented problem-solver able to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects at once.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Able to train and coordinate volunteers and interns.
• Experience working in a union employment environment and familiarity with AEA agreements is preferred.
• Experience working in a nonprofit educational or developmental setting is preferred
• Reports to the Production Manager of the Herbert Berghof Studio while working to maintain, support, and develop production facilities and support artistic projects of the HB Studio, and to ensure coherent schedules and practices. Must work well with guest artists, staff, students, alumni and faculty while maintaining separation and discretion.
Hours: Generally 9am to 5pm, 5 days/week, 40 hours total. Additional hours as necessary to fulfill requirements of projects in tech and performance.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “House Technician.”