The Play Group Theatre
White Plains, NY 10601
The Play Group Theatre (PGT), a Westchester, NY based non-profit company dedicated to providing theatre training and diverse performance opportunities to children and teenagers, is currently seeking a part-time Costume Designer. PGT is a conservatory quality program for young actors, with 6-8 MainStage shows produced annually, in our new facility in downtown White Plains, NY.
Applicants should possess a BFA or MFA in Costume Design and should have at least 2-3 years experience working in a theatrical costume shop. Applicants must possess a mastery of sewing skills, a working knowledge of costume construction, hair/wigs and make-up, and should have experience in a supervisory position. Candidate must have demonstrated proficiency in all areas of costuming.
We are seeking applicants who possess imagination, flexibility and the desire to work with children and teenagers of varied ages in a creatively charged and artistically demanding, yet nurturing environment. Applicants must be prepared to work as a member of a strong creative team, and to work quickly towards the end goal, while still giving focus to detail and the artistic process. The ideal candidate is resourceful, organized, able to handle multiple projects at once and possesses grace and a sense of humor under pressure.
PGT’s Costume Designer will be expected to:
• Design the costume plot for all PGT MainStage shows, beginning with the use of PGT’s costume collection and building and/or finding additional costumes as needed.
• Oversee and execute all aspects of the design and construction phases of costuming within the established time frame
• Perform costume fittings with actors
• Acquire and/or build props that are costume-related
• Repair and/or replace costumes from the PGT collection, as needed
• Attend production meetings
• Attend rehearsals and/or performances, as needed
• Maintain costume shop equipment, costume storage facility and dressing rooms
• Work with directors, set designers, additional costumers and PGT’s Artistic, Executive and Education Directors in a collaborative spirit
• Supervise interns as well as parent and student volunteers
• Manage outside rentals of the PGT costume collection
• Work with the Artistic Director to develop and teach our newly launched Design/Tech track for students.
PGT’s Theatre Facility includes:
• 228 seat MainStage Theatre
• 100 seat Studio Theatre
• Costume Shop
• Costume Collection
• Scene Shop
• Rehearsal Studios
• Green Room and Dressing Rooms
• Offices and Storage
PGT’s programs run year-round, including after-school and weekend classes, rehearsals, performances and workshops from September – June, and a six week summer camp program in July and August. PGT is entering its 20th year in operation and its 5th year in a new 20,000 square foot facility in downtown White Plains, just a few blocks from the White Plains Metro North train station. PGT is a vibrant, active, creative community, focused on providing an artistic home for children and teenagers. We are seeking artists who are interested in being a long-term member of the creative team.
Please send a letter of interest, work samples and resume to Jill Abusch, Artistic Director - firstname.lastname@example.org