The Play Group Theatre
White Plains, NY 10601
Scenic Designer/ Master Carpenter
SCENIC DESIGNER/MASTER CARPENTER
The Play Group Theatre (PGT), a Westchester, NY based non-profit company providing theatre training and performance opportunities to children and teenagers, is currently seeking a part-time Scenic Designer/Master Carpenter. PGT is a conservatory quality program for young actors, with 6-8 MainStage shows produced annually, in our new facility in downtown White Plains, NY.
Applicants should possess a BFA/BA or MFA/MA in Design or Technical Theatre and should have at least 2-3 years experience. Applicants must possess a mastery of carpentry skills, a working knowledge of construction, shop safety and project management and should have experience in a supervisory position. Working knowledge of theatrical lighting and basic sound design a plus.
We are seeking applicants who possess imagination, flexibility and the desire to work with children and teenagers of varied ages in a creatively charged and artistically demanding, yet nurturing environment. Applicants must be prepared to work as a member of a strong creative team, and to work quickly towards the end goal, while still giving focus to the artistic process. The ideal candidate is not afraid to get dirty or climb tall ladders and possesses grace and a sense of humor under pressure.
• Drafting and interpreting floorplans/elevations
• Building sets and properties for all PGT MainStage productions
• Collaborating with the TD regarding the technical needs for all PGT MainStage productions
• Overseeing scenic needs for StudioStage productions
• Instructing and overseeing students in our newly launched Design/Tech Track (middle and high school aged) in basic scenic construction and safety, and involving them in the process of building the show
• Supervising college-age interns and parent volunteers
• Ensuring a safe, clean and organized workspace
• Ensuring the safety of students, staff and audience members regarding scenery, props, special effects and backstage spaces in both the MainStage and StudioStage theatres
• Attending all necessary production meetings and staff-wide events and meetings
PGT’s Theatre Facility includes:
• 228 seat MainStage Theatre
• 100 seat Studio Theatre
• Scene Shop
• Costume Shop
• Rehearsal Studios
• Green Room and Dressing Rooms
• Offices and Storage
PGT’s programs run year-round, including after-school and weekend classes, rehearsals, performances and workshops from September – June, and a six week summer camp program in July and August. PGT is entering its 20th year in operation and its 5th year in a new 20,000 square foot facility in downtown White Plains, just a few blocks from the White Plains Metro North train station. PGT is a vibrant, active, creative community, focused on providing an artistic home for children and teenagers. We are seeking artists who are interested in being a long-term member of the creative team.
Please send a letter of interest, work samples and resume to Jill Abusch, Artistic Director - firstname.lastname@example.org