By Michael Gioia
19 Mar 2013
|Photo by Joseph Marzullo/WENN|
As previously reported, a tentative deal settling the dispute over her role in the creation of the musical was reached with 8 Legged Productions, the producer, in August 2012, but terms were not released, and a document filed Aug. 30 in the U.S. District Court in Manhattan said the case could be reopened if the agreement broke down.
According to the Times, Judge Katherine B. Forrest of Federal District Court in Manhattan ordered on March 15 that the parties may conduct discovery through May 1 and that "trial is and will be on May 28, 2013," adding that no further meetings with the judge were necessary. The order came four days after the judge, during a closed-door session with the various sides, expressed frustration that they had not been able to settle disputes in August.
"The 'parties' efforts to finalize a settlement have not yet been successful," Charles Spada, a lawyer for Taymor, wrote in a Jan. 9 letter — that was made public Jan. 10 — to U.S. District Judge Forrest.
In response to Taymor's suit, the producers of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark filed an answer and countersuit in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York against the director and her company, LOH, Inc., in January 2012. The producers' counterclaims said that Taymor refused "to fulfill her contractual obligations, declaring that she could not and would not do the jobs that she was contracted to do."
The first oral arguments were made in the federal suit in June 2012. Read the earlier Playbill.com story for a complete timeline of the legal action involved with Broadway's Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.