By Michael Gioia
10 Jun 2014
The CD is now available for pre-oder on Amazon.
Listen to "Dare to Dream," from Mott's musical Faustus (with book writer Justin Silvestri) — inspired by Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus and Goethe's Faust — below:
"The album features a very eclectic array of my material," Mott told Playbill.com. "Overall, there's a theme of hope and optimism throughout the entire album which makes it feel cohesive. I try to be as open as possible when it comes to finding inspiration and, honestly, it varies from song to song. This album was heavily inspired by New York City, and I am thrilled to have such an incredible list of New York's best singers bringing this material to life."
The album includes three songs from his original musicals Mob Wife and Faustus as well as stand-alone pieces inspired from personal experiences.
"I naturally gravitate towards pop," added Mott. "I grew up on the music of Billy Joel, Mariah Carey and top 40 radio, but have always had such a strong love and passion for musical theatre. In the long term, I would really love to have one hand in each world. Since we set out to make a theatre album with 'Where The Sky Ends,' my orchestrator and co-producer, Kim Scharnberg, and I tried to showcase my material in a more grandiose way. I'm extremely pleased with the end result and hope people will enjoy the variety of material."
Mott is also developing the original musical The Hellfire Club with lyricist Zoe Samuel.
The complete track listing of the new album follows:
1. "Just Like Me" - Justin Guarini
2. "The Left Side of the Moon" - Zachary Levi
3. "The Devil" - Sierra Boggess
4. "Don't Stop Dancin'" - Bryan Terrell Clark with Shauna Goodgold, Bruce Landry & Lindsay Rider
5. "Dare To Dream" (from Faustus) - Laura Osnes & Jeremy Jordan
6. "Her Embrace" (from Faustus) - Josh Young
7. "Hold Me Tight" – Orfeh
8. "Try" - Jeremy Jordan
9. "Let You Go" (from Mob Wife) - Jacqueline Petroccia
10. "Gone" - Ben Fankhauser with Shauna Goodgold, Bruce Landry & Lindsay Rider
11. "Sky (Interlude)" - Michael Mott
12. "Sky" - Michael Mott