The money was given "to encourage us to rescind the dissolution vote as soon as possible," board member Carol Lazier said in a release sent by the company April 4.
The opera had announced in March that it would close just prior to its 50th anniversary due to declining ticket sales and challenges in fundraising. The announcement prompted a strong response from the artistic community, and March 31 it voted to postpone the closure for two weeks.
The opera had been scheduled to close and begin selling assets April 14, following its presentation of Don Quixote, and dismantle the company by the end of the opera's fiscal year June 30. It will utilize the two weeks to re-evaluate its financial condition, consider additional options and possibly find a way to move forward for at least another season.
Lazier said that the money "is not being given to restart raising financial support... for the company as it exists today. Raising public support can only come after we have a workable business plan."