"To thank the fans of the show whose support brought Newsies to the Great White Way and who have made it the biggest hit of its season," according to a statement, "tickets at the Newsies lottery will be completely free for the eight performances leading up to the anniversary."
Additionally, following each performance from March 23-29, one audience member will be chosen to receive a backstage tour.
Details about the free ticket lottery follow:
- A limited number of tickets for performances from the matinee performance on March 23 through the evening performance on March 29 will be given away free of charge through a same day lottery.
- Entries will be accepted at the Nederlander Theatre box office beginning two-and-a-half hours prior to each performance for up to two tickets per person.
- Two hours before curtain, names will be drawn at random for a limited number oftickets free of charge.
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Entries are checked for duplication prior to drawing.
- Winners must be present at the time of the drawing and show valid ID to purchase tickets.
- Limit one entry per person and two tickets per winner.
Newsies features a Tony Award-winning score with music by eight-time Academy Award winner Alan Menken and lyrics by Jack Feldman, with a book by four-time Tony Award winner Harvey Fierstein. Produced by Disney Theatrical Productions, Newsies is directed by Tony nominee Jeff Calhoun and choreographed by Christopher Gattelli, who won a 2012 Tony Award for his work.
"Set in New York City at the turn of the century," Newsies, According to production notes, "is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teenaged ‘newsies,’ who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike for what’s right."
Visit NewsiesTheMusical.com for details.