14th Street Theatre
The 14th Street Theatre, which seats 297, is the most intimate of the six theatres on Playhouse Square. The space was originally built in 1921 as part of the Hanna Building, and features an eclectic mix of classic Italian Renaissance architecture with contemporary accents. Original remaining elements include a coffered Roman ceiling, bronze trimming, and 11-foot decorative columns.
In 2001, DAS Construction built a spacious new lobby. Designed by former GSI Architect Joseph R. Hanna in collaboration with local artists Michael Castellana and the Glass Bubble Project, the lobby has a distinctly urban feel, with one metal-paneled wall opposite one of painted earth colors, a cement floor, and wrought-iron light fixtures.
The lounge is equipped with a new 25-foot oak wood bar, ideal for people to meet friends and mingle before or after the performance. Historical photos of Playhouse Square, enlarged, backlit, and framed in metal, form the backdrop of the bar.
- Built: 1866
- Number of Seats: 1100
- Longest Running Show: Nobody's Child
- Performances: 10,493