01_LUNT_OPEN_2400.jpg

The Globe Theatre opened in 1910, named after Shakespeare’s famed theatre in England. Designed by Carrere and Hastings for producer Charles B. Dillingham, the lavish theatre remained dark during much of the Depression and soon became a movie theatre. It was fully refurbished and returned to legitimate use in 1958 as the Lunt-Fontanne, named for married actors Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne.

  • Built: 1910
  • Number of Seats: 1509