Barbra Streisand fans are in for a treat October 27—actually two.
Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music
Entertainment, releases two different Streisand projects: Evergreens: Celebrating Six Decades on Columbia Records and Yentl: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.
celebrates Streisand’s 60th anniversary as a Columbia artist,
features 22 songs, selected by the EGOT winner as favorites from her career. Target is offering an exclusive version on pink vinyl.
Yentl commemorates the 40th anniversary of the release of the Oscar-winning soundtrack to the film, which Streisand starred in, directed, wrote, and produced. The recording is offered on vinyl as a Barnes & Noble exclusive on two discs. Disc one features the original Yentl soundtrack, and disc two features 15 tracks that Streisand recorded as demos or alternate versions. Ten demos were recorded in her living room on a stereo cassette deck, with Streisand narrating the introduction to each track; she is accompanied by Michel Legrand on piano.
A previously unreleased track from the Yentl soundtrack, “Papa, Can You Hear Me?,” was released earlier this month. This recording, long stored in Streisand’s music vault, is an alternate version of the Oscar-nominated song, produced by Phil Ramone and arranged by Dave Grusin.
Both albums were supervised and feature liner notes by Jay Landers.
Streisand has recorded 52 gold, 31 platinum, and 13 multi-platinum albums, achieving No. 1 albums in each of the six consecutive decades. She is the only artist ever to receive Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy, Directors Guild of America, Golden Globe, National Medal of Arts, and Peabody awards, as well as France's Legion d’Honneur, the American Film Institute’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and is the first female film director to receive the Kennedy Center Honors. In 2015, President Barack Obama presented her with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
The complete track listings follow.
Evergreens: Celebrating Six Decades on Columbia Records
2. Bewitched (Bothered and Bewildered) (Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart)
(The Third Album – 1964)
5. Where or When (Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart)
(Color Me Barbra – 1966)
6. Ma Première Chanson (Barbra Streisand/Eddy Marnay)
(Je m’appelle Barbra – 1966)
7. I Don’t Know Where I Stand (Joni Mitchell)
(Stoney End – 1971)
8. I Never Meant to Hurt You (Laura Nyro)
(Barbra Joan Streisand – 1971)
9. Letters That Cross in the Mail (Rupert Holmes)
(Lazy Afternoon – 1975)
10. Answer Me (Barbra Streisand/Paul Williams/Kenny Ascher)
(Superman – 1977)
12. Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man (Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II)
(The Broadway Album – 1986)
13. Two People (Barbra Streisand/Alan & Marilyn Bergman)
(Till I Loved You – 1988)
14. Some Enchanted Evening (Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II)
(Back to Broadway – 1993)
18. Here’s to Life (Orchestra version) (Artie Butler/Phyllis Molinary)
(Love Is the Answer – 2009)
19. The Windmills of Your Mind (Michel Legrand/Alan and Marilyn Bergman)
(What Matters Most: Barbra Streisand Sings the Lyrics of Alan and Marilyn Bergman – 2011)
21. Lady Liberty (Desmond Child)
(Walls – 2018)
22. Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born) (Barbra Streisand/Paul Williams)
1976 vocal produced by Barbra Streisand and Phil Ramone
2023 version produced and arranged by Walter Afanasieff and Barbra Streisand
Yentl: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
1. Where Is It Written?
2. Papa, Can You Hear Me?
3. This Is One of Those Moments
4. No Wonder
5. The Way He Makes Me Feel
6. No Wonder (Part Two)
7. Tomorrow Night
8. Will Someone Every Look at Me That Way?
9. No Matter What Happens
10. No Wonder (reprise)
11. A Piece of Sky
12. The Way He Makes Me Feel (studio version)
13. No Matter What Happens (studio version)
The Audition Tapes & More
(Tracks 1-9: Barbra Streisand accompanied by Michel Legrand)
1. Where Is It Written? (demo)
2. Papa, Can You Hear Me? (demo)
3. The Way He Makes Me Feel (demo)
4. Several Sins a Day (demo)
5. No Wonder (demo) with Marilyn Bergman
6. Tomorrow Night (demo)
7. Will Someone Ever look At Me This Way? (demo) with Michel Lagrand
8. The Moon and I (demo)
9. A Piece of Sky (demo)
10. Papa, Can You Hear Me? (studio version)
11. Several Sins a Day (studio version)
12. Where Is It Written? (with Rabbinical chorus)
13. Papa, Can You Hear Me? (single version)
14. This Is One of Those Moments (reprise)
15. End Title (instrumental medley)