Max von Essen drops his debut solo album, Call Me Old Fashioned: The Broadway Standard, April 5.
The 13-track album, available digitally and as a physical release, looks to Broadway's Golden Age song catalog, with songs and medleys from such writers as George and Ira Gershwin, Frederick Loewe and Alan Jay Lerner, and Irving Berlin.
Von Essen recently completed a Broadway run as Gleb in Anastasia and is currently starring as Marvin in the national tour of Falsettos. He received a Tony nomination for his performance as Henri Baurel in An American in Paris and also appeared on Broadway in Evita, Les Misérables, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Dance of the Vampires. He is set to join the New York Pops at Carnegie Hall January 2020.
"I've always been in love with an era long past, the Great American Songbook and movie musicals, and this album is a tribute to that passion," shares von Essen. "I couldn't be more thrilled."
Von Essen is backed by pianist and arranger Billy Stritch, leading a trio with Steve Doyle on bass and Daniel Glass on drums. Cellist Mairi Dorman-Phaneuf joins for select tracks.
Call Me Old Fashioned is released by LML Music and is co-produced by von Essen and Stritch. LML Music's Lee Lessack is executive producer.
Take a look at the full track listing:
1. Everything Old is New Again / I'm Old Fashioned
2. I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Additional vocals by Billy Stritch)
3. Fly Me to the Moon
4. Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
5. On This Night of a Thousand Stars (featuring cellist Mairi Dorman-Phaneuf)
6. Show Me
7. She Loves Me
8. Shimmy Like They Do in Paree (additional vocals by Billy Stritch)
9. The Trolly Song / Gotta Have Me Go with You
10. They Say It's Wonderful
11. Almost Like Being in Love
12. An American in Paris Medley: I Got Rhythm / Shall We Dance? / They Can't Take That Away From Me / Who Cares? / S'Wonderful (featuring cellist Mairi Dorman-Phaneuf)
13. I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise