The publication took into account more than 2,000 productions being staged between Sept. 1, 2015, and Aug. 31, 2016. Shakespeare and certain holiday shows were excluded, and plays needed to be fully produced with at least a week's worth of performances in order to be considered.
On Sept. 21 American Theatre will release the metrics of the gender of playwrights for the season.
Published online at AmericanTheatre.org, the Top Ten List is as follows:
1. Disgraced by Ayad Akhtar: 18 productions
2. Peter and the Starcatcher, adapted by Rick Elice from Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson: 16
3. Outside Mullingar by John Patrick Shanley: 11
4. To Kill a Mockingbird, adapted by Christopher Sergel from Harper Lee: 9
5. Buyer & Cellar by Jonathan Tolins: 9
6. Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike by Christopher Durang: 8
7. Mr. Burns, a post-electric play by Anne Washburn: 7
8. Fences by August Wilson: 7
9. Sex with Strangers by Laura Eason: 7
10. Stupid Fucking Bird by Aaron Posner, inspired by Chekhov: 7
As noted in the article, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, which came in at number six, was the most-produced play of the 2014-15 season. Other Top Ten stories on Playbill.com: