In addition to performances from its cast and a host of up-and-coming African-American female singers, the soundtrack also includes a remake of Nina Simone's "Four Women," which features original vocals by the late singer, who is joined by her daughter Simone (Rent), Laura Izibor and Ledisi on the track.
Perry directs the film based on Ntozake Shange's 1974 play that interweaves the stories of African American women through a series of poems, both individual and choral, which trace their battles through life, love, violence and self discovery. "for colored girls" will debut in theatres Nov. 5.
The cast boasts Whoopi Goldberg, Phylicia Rashad, Anika Noni Rose, Loretta Devine, Kerry Washington, Janet Jackson, Thandie Newton, Jurnee Smollett, Kimberly Elise and Macy Gray.
The track list is as follows:
1. "Main Title" - Loretta Devine, Kimberly Elise, Whoopi Goldberg, Janet
Jackson, Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rashad, Anika Noni Rose, Tessa Thompson, Kerry Washington (with Joshua Bell, Aaron Zigman & The Hollywood Studio Symphony Orchestra)
2. "Longer & Stronger" - Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
3. "All Day Long (Blue Skies)" – Estelle
4. "What More Can They Do" - Laura Izibor
5. "Sun" - Lalah Hathaway
6. "Ansomnia" - Zaki Ibrahim
7. "Settle" - Gladys Knight
8. "La Donna In Viola" - Karen Slack, Andrea Jones-Sojola & The Hollywood Studio Symphony Orchestra
9. "Sechita" (A Senhora em Amarelo) - Anika Noni Rose & Carondelet Percussion Ensemble
10. "Stand Up" - Macy Gray
11. "Without A Fight" - Janelle Monàe
12. "Four Women" - Nina Simone, Simone, Laura Izibor & Ledisi
13. "I Know Who I Am" - Leona Lewis