McCarter Theatre Center
Princeton, NJ 08540
POSITION: Artistic Assistant/Hellen Gurley Brown Fellow
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Annual; Exempt
REPORTS TO: Artistic Director
McCarter Theatre Center, centered between New York City and Philadelphia on the campus of Princeton University, is a creative and intellectual hub that inspires conversations, connections, and collaborations in our communities. We lead with justice and joy, and we seek beauty in belonging. McCarter is an independent, non-profit performing arts center that creates and curates engaging performances, education programs, and community partnerships.
We are committed to fostering a diverse, anti-racist company and have begun that work in earnest; this work goes beyond our staff and production teams and includes engaging, educating, and cultivating a broad range of audiences, making the arts accessible to all people, and presenting a variety of entertaining and thought-provoking programming across disciplines. As such, McCarter seeks team members who: contribute to a diversity of backgrounds and experiences to support an expansive artistic vision; are committed to engaging in ongoing anti-racism and anti-oppression work individually; value collaboration, flexibility, and an openness to continuous personal and professional growth.
McCarter is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring, supporting, and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce. Please review our staff-written Framing Statement on equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility, linked here. (https://www.mccarter.org/explore/staff-framing-statement/)
The Artistic Assistant/HGB Fellow works closely with the Artistic Director and all members of the Artistic staff to facilitate communication and creative cultivation. The Artistic Assistant supports artistic and producing activities, including all Theater and Presented Programming as well as developmental projects, partnerships, and engagement events.
Principal Job Responsibilities:
● Supporting the activities of the Artistic department, including: routine correspondence; meeting coordination, scheduling, and documentation; season planning assistance; cultivation and relationship management among actors, directors, playwrights, designers, casting directors, managers/agents, and other industry personnel; facilitating ticketing requests and RSVPs as needed; and travel logistics for the artistic department and project specific travel for visiting artists as needed;
● Assisting Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director, Resident Producer, and Artistic Line Producer with all tasks and activities related to season planning and producing of theater slate, presented programming, digital projects, commissioning, and developmental/pipeline activities, including, but not limited to: day to day meeting and communication coordination, general artistic documentation, research, document drafting/proofing, facilitation of artistic staff and guest artists’ participation in readings, workshops, developmental activities, and engagement events;
● Supporting the creative development pipeline: reading scripts, writing coverage, updating script database, assisting with commission tracking and agent/writer correspondence. Scouting productions/readings/workshops as needed in NYC and elsewhere. Attending rehearsals, tech, production meetings, dress rehearsals, previews, Opening Nights, and special events as needed;
● Maintaining and updating ArtsVision database, including artist and script tracking and general data entry.
● Assisting with creative content for the McCarter website, public relations, marketing, programs, and various publications as needed, as well as artistic presentations for the Board of Trustees;
● Participating in regular Artistic, Producing, and show-specific Meetings: Artistic/Season Planning, Contracting, and Designer/Production;
● Representing McCarter as Artistic Staff at events locally, in New York City, and other locations as needed;
Participating in Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Antiracism (EDIA&A) Orientation and ongoing engagement with the EDIA&A work at McCarter. Actively seeking ways to improve our work practices to make the Artistic Department more Equitable and Inclusive.
This fellowship is designated for a female-identifying person, who aspires to a producing/artistic career. Through the generosity of the BOLD Foundation, there will be meaningful opportunities for networking and mentorship/career development.
● Strong communication, organization, planning, and time-management skills.
● Collaborative and eager to bring creative energy and share ideas within a group setting.
● Curiosity about and interest in the arts, emerging artists, and the artistic development process.
● A comfort level with coordinating and communicating with artists and industry personnel.
● Awareness of theatrical and event producing processes and a general awareness of the current state of the industry.
● Experience in scheduling, project coordination, meeting and relationship management.
● Computer knowledge with proficiency in: Microsoft Word and Excel, and Zoom.
· 1-2+ years of professional entertainment related work experience in producing, production, or arts related management.
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on-the-job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area and will discuss what it would mean for you to relocate.
If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s artistic vision, we would love to hear from you.
Please email with “Artistic Assistant” in the subject line to introduce yourself. Please let us know your skills and any applicable work experience. You do not need to submit a formal resume, although they are welcome. Please also mention where you heard about the position.