New York, NY 10003
Vineyard Theatre is a mid-sized Off-Broadway theatre with an annual operating budget of $2.5 to $3 million, a full-time staff of 12, and a mainstage season which normally consists of three new plays or musicals. Entering its 38th Season, The Vineyard is dedicated to nurturing the voices of daring artists and to developing and producing work that challenges all of us to see ourselves and our world from new perspectives, and which pushes the boundaries of what theatre can be and do. The Vineyard is committed to furthering this mission throughout its 2020-2021 season, both during and after the shutdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, through innovative approaches to the development and production of bold new theatrical work.
The Development Fellowship is a 20-hour per week, paid position designed to serve as a bridge between educational and professional settings by providing firsthand experience in contributed revenue generation for an Off-Broadway non-profit theatre. An integral part of the Development team, the Development Fellow will help the Development department reach its $1.1M fundraising goal for the 2020-2021 season.
The Fellow will have the opportunity to engage with donors and artists and join professional development seminars and industry networking events. The Fellow is expected to commit to work September 8, 2020 – July 16, 2021 with a schedule to be mutually agreed upon during regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 10am-6pm), with occasional work on nights and weekends as necessary.
Vineyard Theatre’s offices are closed through the Summer, and the date of our office’s re-opening in the Fall is to be determined. It is likely that the Fellow will be trained and begin their work digitally, but candidates will be expected to be present in New York when the office re-opens. This date will be announced in advance, and the Fellow will be given reasonable time to make return travel plans if they begin the Fellowship from outside of the city.
The ideal candidate has relevant experience working in an office setting, pays close attention to detail, has strong organizational skills, has excellent written and verbal communication, and is a self-motivated worker. Candidates must be able to carry at least 15 pounds and navigate stairs comfortably.
As a member of Theatre Communications Group and the Alliance of Resident Theatres/New York, Vineyard Theatre employees enjoy free access to professional development seminars and webinars on a variety of topics, roundtable discussions with peers at other theatres, access to publications and information resources for the theatre field, as well as complimentary tickets to productions at The Vineyard and select performances at our peer theatres.
Reporting directly to the Director of Development, the Development Fellow is responsible for:
● All aspects of gift processing, acknowledgments, patron database management, gift reporting, and program donor listings.
● Maintaining and managing the development calendar, including scheduling team members to greet patrons in the lobby prior to performances.
● Working with the Director of Business Affairs to reconcile contributed income and department expenses each month.
● Overseeing projects for the Development/Marketing Intern(s).
● Taking minutes and tracking tasks at departmental meetings and Board meetings.
● Managing donor benefit tracking and fulfillment, including Broadway House Seat requests for major donors, distribution of concession vouchers and backstage tours.
● Making solicitation and thank you calls to lower-level donors.
Additional duties assigned may include:
● Managing two annual online auctions, including tracking donations, building auction items, and awarding prizes.
● Creating a first draft of select grant proposals.
● Individual and institutional prospect research.
● Organizing Intern Lunch program for interns in all departments.
● Leading or assisting on special event preparation, including Board Salons, Opening Nights, Vineyard Open Houses, pre-show lobby receptions, the Season Launch Party, and the annual Gala.
Candidate should be proficient with MS Office and Google Apps. Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and/or Point of Sale (POS) systems is a big plus. Past work experience in any customer service oriented position is valued. A successful applicant will be able to articulate a history of advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion in their work.
Compensation is $15/hour. Vineyard Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, people with disabilities, transgender or gender non-conforming individuals to apply.
Application Due Date: July 28, 2020
Interview Period: August 6-14, 2020
First Day of Fellowship: September 8, 2020
September 8, 2020 -