Transport Group Theatre Company
Transport Group Theatre Company seeks a dedicated development professional for the role of Development Manager.
About Transport Group Theatre Company
MISSION & HISTORY
Transport Group is a New York-based, off-Broadway theatre company that stages new works and radically-reimagined revivals by American writers.
Since 2001, Transport Group has crafted risk-taking, thoughtful, acclaimed productions of plays and musicals that widen the lens on our American experience. By centering unlikely protagonists, embracing nontraditional casting, and incorporating daring design, we create unexpected theatrical experiences that allow audiences and artists to collaboratively explore what we mean by an “American identity.” Our work subverts expectations and challenges narrative conventions by creating space for new American perspectives that deepen our shared capacity for empathy and understanding.
Transport Group’s work has been called “storytelling at its purest” by The New York Times, “at once faithful and irreverent.” In the two decades since the company was founded by Artistic Director Jack Cummings III and Robyn Hussa, we have produced thirty-three shows: thirteen new works, seventeen revivals, three New York premieres, and six commissioned works. Our New York and world premieres have all had a continued life beyond their initial productions, and Transport Group has received The New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award, 9 Obie Awards, 3 Drama Desk Awards including a Special Drama Desk Award “for its breadth of vision and its presentation of challenging productions,” an Outer Critics Circle Award, 3 Off-Broadway Alliance Awards, and a Dramatists Guild Award. In addition, our productions have received 46 Drama Desk Award nominations, 8 Drama League Award nominations, 4 Lucille Lortel Award nominations, 6 Outer Critics Circle Award nominations, 9 American Theatre Wing Design Award nominations, 9 Off-Broadway Alliance Award nominations, 4 Audelco Award nominations, and a Tony Award nomination.
HOW WE WORK
Transport Group provides a home for ground-up, extensive development processes for new works and revivals alike that put artistic exploration at the forefront. Our development approach is customized for each project to ensure that we are organically forging a production that only could have emerged from the voices and imaginations of the artists – performers, writers, designers, musicians – in the room.
We often don’t know where a new work is going at the outset, but we commit fully to taking the journey from commission to production. This commitment, alongside the paid time and resources we provide throughout the development process, offers Transport Group artists the space, means, and stability necessary to fully embrace risk and experimentation. This level of development support is especially unique for musicals: while most of these programs become homogenized as they are put through the regional/commercial pipeline, we offer a customized development process. We are proud to be a rare organization that supports the full life of a new musical, from commission through development to premiere, allowing a uniquely American voice to emerge.
DEVELOPMENT MANAGER POSITION
Transport Group is seeking a dynamic, creative, and experienced development professional to manage the company’s fundraising efforts as Development Manager. Reporting to both the Artistic Director and Executive Director, the ideal candidate will play an active role in strategizing and implementing short and long-term fundraising goals for the organization. This person will provide departmental leadership, and collaborate with board and staff alike. The candidate will have a passion for theatre, non-profit fundraising and development. This person will be a creative thinker and problem solver. Transport Group seeks a candidate pool from a variety of backgrounds and experience to encourage new perspectives and practices within the organization. We seek applicants who are determined to advance our mission and values, work in a collaborative environment with varying viewpoints, are committed to flexibility, personal and professional growth and a willingness to engage in anti-oppression work. This position will include career advancement and training opportunities.
- Job Responsibilities: Developing and overseeing implementation of fundraising efforts including special events. (Our current events include our annual gala, opening nights, annual benefit concert and other cultivation events throughout our season. We welcome the envisioning of new fundraising strategies.)
- Collaborates with executive leadership to prioritize artistic and institutional goals to steer fundraising objectives.
- Is accountable for fundraising tracking and benchmarks.
- Serves as primary liaison to the Board of Directors, Artistic Director and Executive Director for all fundraising activities.
- Forming and maintaining donor and foundation relationships.
- All grant tracking, preparation and reporting.
- Researching and identifying new grant opportunities and reporting requirements.
- Managing the creation and distribution of all written materials related to fundraising including grants, solicitations, acknowledgements, and reports.
- Collaborating with the Marketing Manager to ensure alignment between development and marketing communications.
- In consultation with the Executive Director and Finance Manager, developing and managing the departmental budget and associated contributed revenue goals.
- Maintaining an organized and accurate donor database and record management system that can generate accurate reports to be shared with our staff and Board of Directors.
- Managing the organization's annual appeal.
- Maintaining a welcoming, respectful and fun environment that fosters diversity and inclusion at all times.
- May perform other roles within the organization as needed, with acknowledgement and prior planning surrounding the responsibilities listed above.
- The Development Manager must have: Demonstrated experience in creating, implementing, and evaluating successful fundraising campaigns for a nonprofit institution.
- A practice of prioritizing the values of inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to meet and manage deadlines, delegate tasks, and effectively work with a team on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with all constituents.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills, including a proven track record with successful grant funding.
- The ability to develop, understand, and meet contributed revenue budgets and departmental expense budgets; the ability to analyze trends and make practical projections.
- Experience with donor management systems, preferably OvationTix, and an interest in other current and emerging technologies related to fundraising.
- Experience producing large-scale donor events such as galas, etc.
- Interest in supporting and sustaining Transport Group’s mission.
This is a full-time exempt position based in Manhattan with a starting salary of $60,000, plus monthly health insurance reimbursements. The Development Manager’s in person presence will be required at fundraising and cultivation events on select days, including occasional evenings and weekends. Transport Group is committed to supporting diverse work styles catered to each employee's specific needs and is open to remote work models.
Transport Group Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are focusing on creating an inclusive environment and seek to build a diverse team in the pursuit of these cultural goals. The organization is interested in receiving applications from people of all races, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, ages, classes, religions, people with disabilities and veteran status. Qualified individuals, please submit your cover letter, outlining why you would like to join our team, and resume to email@example.com with Development Manager - Your Name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
starting at $60,000, plus monthly health insurance reimbursements
APPLY BY EMAIL
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is
encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your
preferred email client.
APPLY BY POSTAL SERVICE