The House Theatre of Chicago seeks a Director of Development to support the mission and programming of The House by cultivating and generating contributed income from individual donors, major donors, institutional and government grantors, corporate sponsors, and special events. This role is ideal for a candidate who is enthusiastic about supporting the growth of innovative experiences in Chicago’s diverse theatre industry. The position provides opportunity for growth as The House continues planned institutional advancement in the coming years.
The Director of Development works closely with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, and The House Board of Directors. The position is supported by a Finance and Fundraising Associate. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Managing Director.
We seek to build a diverse team to support our programming and operations. The House strives to uphold inclusive, equitable and anti-racist institutional structures. Candidates from all ethnicities, racial backgrounds, religion, national origin, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a comprehensive annual fundraising plan for The House that aligns with the company’s unique needs, programming model, resources and assets.
- Setting, reporting on, re-projecting and achieving the contributed income budgeted goals for The House annual operating budget.
- Innovating strategies and tactics to grow contributed income year over year.
- Composing grant applications and reports, as well as cultivating relationships with granting organizations to understand their giving priorities and match appropriate programs with The House’s activities.
- Developing a corporate relationship program, including stewardship and cultivation events, resulting in advocacy, in-kind donations and sponsorships.
- Improving upon and execute The House’s current individual and major donor campaign strategies.
- In partnership with the Artistic Director and Managing Director, fostering a culture of philanthropy, and creating an individual donor funnel to guide guests from single ticket buyers to donors.
- Planning and executing all fundraising and cultivation events, including annual gala, fall benefit, board and VIP events, and one-off fundraisers.
- Sustaining positive relationships with key constituencies: the board, major donors, company members, patrons and guests, artists, vendors and the larger Chicago artistic community.
- Supporting and embodying the mission of The House.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of professionalism and efficiency.
- Experience with PatronManager CRM software, or other fundraising/ticketing database platforms.
- The ability to work independently and maintain multiple priorities and deadlines.
- A sense of humor and ability to thrive in a cyclical, face-paced environment.
- A passion for the arts and experience in arts administration, fundraising or marketing.
- Proven ability to use Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel) and Google web apps.
- Paid vacation and sick days.
- Access to an employee-funded group health plan.
- Complimentary tickets to performances at The House.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and at least two references as PDF via the form located here: https://forms.gle/2esUyzCT8h6Pf1Fw9
Applications will be reviewed beginning July 30, 2021. No phone calls, please.