The Intrepid Museum is currently seeking an Exhibit Fabricator. Reporting to the Lead Fabricator, the Assistant Fabricator will build and paint exhibit cases, barriers, panels, and pedestals. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to supporting exhibition elements from a variety of materials including woods, paper, plastics, glass, fabrics, foams, and metals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Construct and install museum exhibit structures including but not limited to, walls, floors, case work, text panels, photographic murals, vinyl wall treatments, and artifact mounts using a range of materials and tools/equipment. (e.g. table saw, drill press or router)
- Read, understand, and implement shop drawings.
- Compile material, cut, and hardware lists.
- Demonstrate proficiency with standard finishing techniques.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge in a variety of engineering and scientific principles.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe work environment.
- Observe all shop safety and risk management procedures in public and work spaces.
- Practice knowledge and ability to safely use power tools and other shop equipment.
- Realize deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate ability to work within a team environment and with the public.
- Ability to work overtime, nights, and weekends as required.
- Other duties as required by management and project demands.
The ideal candidate will have a related degree (BS/BA) and 3 years of carpentry experience and / or equivalent background. Knowledge of, or a willingness to learn other exhibit fabrication techniques, including working with plexiglass, plastic and metal is required. Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects and prioritize activities effectively. Comfortable with managing multiple assignments in a fast-paced, non-profit setting. Must perform other duties as required by management and project demands.
We offer a competitive salary and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history!
For consideration e-mail resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in and your salary requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.