Symphony Space is a multidisciplinary performing arts center where bold programming, presented in a uniquely warm and welcoming environment, forges indelible relationships between artists and audiences. Our fundamental mission is to connect art, ideas, and community through our programs and our commitment to literacy and education through the arts. On our New York City stages, through our national broadcasts, and in the classrooms and communities we serve throughout the country, we foster access to the arts through all the disciplines. Our embrace of the audience and the arts is wide, and the experience of our patrons is deep and enriched.
Symphony Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversifying our workforce extends to all who join us in creating and presenting art. We strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. To learn more about Symphony Space’s mission, vision, values, and programs, please visit symphonyspace.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Symphony Space is seeking a dynamic, warm, people-person for the role of House Manager. Reporting to the Head of House, the House Manager is an integral member of a front of house (FOH) team deeply devoted to working with the public and committed to delivering unparalleled patron service. The House Manager’s overarching goal is to ensure the comfort, safety, and security of our patrons, and to create an atmosphere where every person who enters through the doors feels welcomed and seen.
● Ensure that patrons are confident that their health and safety are an utmost priority by making certain that safety and security standards are being met, including new COVID-related protocols
● Oversee pre-show orientation for the FOH staff before each performance
● Train and supervise ushers
● Coordinate with the box office and production management to resolve seating issues and assure prompt curtain times
● Communicate with facility staff in a clear and timely manner on maintenance needs of the theater spaces, including working with the production support staff with regard to temperature control
● Track attendance at performances
● Supervise operation of concessions, including inventory accounting after each event
● Become knowledgeable about first aid and CPR and become certified as a Fire Guard for the theater. These trainings will be provided by Symphony Space
● Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Traits
● Prior customer service experience with a true interest in working with people and a knack for problem solving
● Personable and committed to providing a top-notch patron experience
● Highly organized, detail-oriented, and dependable with an ability to work well under pressure
● Ability to maintain a flexible and diverse work schedule, with a weekly schedule of 10-20 hours generally available. Daytime and/or evening. Weekend availability is a must
Starting wage: $19.00/per hour
Please note that all Symphony Space staff are required to be fully vaccinated.
Please email your cover letter and resume with “House Manager” in the subject line to search at symphonyspace dot org. We look forward to receiving your application.
$19.00 per hour
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.