LOS ANGELES, CA
***Hiring for September 1 start date.***
California-based, internationally renowned Dance Company is seeking an experienced Lighting Director to join the company for touring engagements, both domestically and abroad.
Please note: this is not a Lighting Designer position.
The ideal candidate will collaborate with the company's Director of Production on complex, large-scale performances in both domestic and international settings. They will have a strong background in Lighting Direction/Design in dance, theater and/or opera, and will be a skilled multi-tasker. They will be a clear and effective communicator with strong time management and documentation skills. Strong candidates will have impeccable taste, and a keen eye to replicate numerous different aesthetics. BIPOC candidates, LGBTQ+ candidates, and candidates with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
In typical touring situations, the company travels with a three-person production team consisting of: Director of Production, Stage Manager and Lighting Director. This position reports directly to the Director of Production. On larger productions, two or more Lighting Directors may work together as a team.
The company works abroad frequently, specifically in Europe. A desire to travel and see the world is a must, as is a valid passport and drivers license.
For the right candidate, we are seeking to build a long-term relationship, and travel the world together!
1) In concert with the Director of Production, handling all technical advance work for receiving venues; drafting and revising all appropriate light plots (including the indication of scenic elements where necessary), instrument and channel hook up lists and other related paperwork
2) Leading light focus and programming sessions in theatres.
3) Serving as the guardian of the artistic work of Lighting Designers who have created work for the company. The Lighting Director must have a keen eye, impeccable taste, and the ability to adapt and tweak existing designs for different venues, whilst maintaining absolute artistic integrity of each individual lighting design.
4) When working on a premiere (often internationally) - the Lighting Director will serve as an assistant or associate to visiting designers, helping them realize their vision for new work.
5) Creating and maintaining all lighting-related paperwork, show files and cue lists, in concert with Stage Manager.
6) Working with full production team to co-ordinate load-in and load-out periods in each venue.
1) The candidate must have a minimum of 3 years touring experience, and ideally in the international market.
2) Absolute proficiency in AutoCAD, QLab and VectorWorks softwares.
3) Experience in multiple forms of Lighting control - not limited to ETC consoles.
4) Understanding of non-traditional forms of lighting, including portable, wireless and battery powered fixtures.
5) Previous experience as an associate or assistant lighting designer is preferable, though not required.
6) A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion - and a willingness to demonstrate that in the workplace, whilst working as a team.
The company has, in 10 years, created over 50 new pieces of work, commissioned over 20 choreographers, and travelled to over 100 cities across 5 continents.
BIPOC candidates, LGBTQ+ candidates, and candidates with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply. The company currently requires all company members and staff to be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19.
Rate is $1350.00 per week. Please apply using the link below.
Sep 6, 2022 - Aug 4, 2022
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.