About the Organization
As a cornerstone in its theatrical and artistic communities, Santa Fe Playhouse connects the artist with the audience. Through these interactions, the Playhouse engages in dialogue to examine, uplift, challenge, and heal through the visceral art of performance and storytelling.
As the oldest continuously operating theater west of the Mississippi, Santa Fe Playhouse has a rich and varied history of producing works that examine both local and international concerns. Situated in the historic Barrio de Analco in downtown Santa Fe, the theater commands an audience of tourists and locals in its historic adobe building. With a house size of 99 seats, the theater is one of the larger local theater organizations in Northern NM. During the Pandemic, Santa Fe Playhouse pivoted its work into a digital space that allowed for artists and audiences to remain connected. Prior to the Pandemic, the Santa Fe Playhouse produced a season of nine productions, typically all of which were from the 21st century.
About the Position
The Santa Fe Playhouse is looking for its next Managing Director. This is an essential role within the organization that will lead the theater as Santa Fe continues to open up out of the Pandemic. The Managing Director is responsible for the overall business, administrative, and operational management of the Santa Fe Playhouse. This includes leadership of fundraising, budgeting, financial management, HR, information systems, institutional marketing, and board relations. We are looking for a person who has a passion for fundraising, organization, and connecting with communities and organizations. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following.
Administrative and Operational:
- Ensure all payroll and accounting operations are properly managed
- Ensure business is up-to-code on local, state, and federal levels
- Ensure a safe working environment for all employees and contract labor in the space
- Ensure all point of sale systems operate efficiently
- Manage all vendor relations and keep up-to-date all billing and insurance policies
- Manage all general fundraising outreach efforts
- Maintain proper donor relations
- Issue and manage all tax-related fundraising concerns
- Ensure proper relations, representation, and needs of sponsors and partnerships
Budgeting and Financial:
- Responsibly manage the fiscal health of the organization
- Regularly report to the board of directors the fiduciary health of the organization
- Project forward looking statements as well as historical financial reporting
- Enforce budgeting policies and the organizations adherence to its approved budget
- Ensure proper filing of all tax related issues to local, state, and federal agencies
- Update and enforce all proper and existing workplace policies
- Ensure that all staff and contract workers are informed on HR policies
- Report, as needed, any HR issues to the proper representatives of the board of directors
- Maintain a level of excellence for all staff and employees surrounding all existing policies
- Ensure that all communication tools used by the playhouse are functioning
- Maintain and manage all IT needs as approved by the board of directors
- Ensure proper archiving and accessibility of materials
- Manage all press relations for the organization
- Be the direct line of communication between press outlets and civic institutions
- Supervise and approve as needed all marketing material
- Work hand-in-glove with the Board treasure to properly maintain financial health of the organization
- Regularly report to the Board of Directors all operational activities, as needed
- Act as the staff liaison to the board
Santa Fe Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating a deep and wide reach in order to connect with prospective employees who have varied experiences and skills, a collaborative attitude, and the desire for growth. Santa Fe Playhouse seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to create an antiracist, socially just, and inclusive presence in O’ga Po’geh and all Northern New Mexican communities.
Santa Fe Playhouse does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, citizenship status, political affiliation, detention records, economic history, dwelling or housing circumstance, or any legally protected characteristic. Santa Fe Playhouse provides equal opportunities in recruiting, hiring, promotions, layoffs, compensation, benefits, terminations, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.
Santa Fe Playhouse recognizes that certain identities and voices are historically under- and misrepresented in the theater industry, and actively seeks to rectify that imbalance in our communities through inclusive hiring practices. Santa Fe Playhouse values diverse life experiences and believes them to be a core aspect of our organizational mission and all collaborative experiences.
To apply for this position, Please email Artistic Director, Robyn Rikoon, at email@example.com. Please be sure to include a current resume, letter of interest for the position, and three professional references. Please title the subject of your email “Managing Director Application - Last Name, First Name”.
We look forward to speaking with you about the position.