The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey
Florham Park, NJ
Position Title: Master Electrician
Classification: Year-round, Full-time, Salaried Non-exempt
Reports to: Director of Production & Facilities
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey (STNJ) in Madison and Florham Park, NJ is seeking an experienced Master Electrician (ME). Position is responsible for the lighting systems for all production/events; maintaining inventory in a manner consistent with all OSHA regulations; supervising and training all lighting staff including seasonal, over-hire, and intern labor; and managing all lighting budgets. ME is expected to collaborate with fellow production shop heads to ensure the efficient and safe day-to-day operations.
· Oversee and implement all planning, installation, maintenance, and strike of lighting elements for all productions, special events, film projects, and art installations for STNJ.
· Safely maintain all lighting equipment, electrical tools, safety equipment, and lighting expendables per company policies.
· Supervise all lighting work calls including any hangs, focuses, strikes, tech rehearsals, programming sessions, and maintenance calls.
· Stay current and follow local, state, and federal (OSHA) safety standards and regulations.
· Encourage a positive working environment, free from harassment or discrimination; promote open communication and information transparency.
· Manage a full-time staff consisting of a Lighting Technician as well as part-time or occasional over-hire laborers, interns, and apprentices.
· Develop with Production Management and Education a curriculum of master classes to be taught to interns.
· Attend weekly production meetings and facilitate communication between designers and lighting staff.
· Run the lighting console for any rehearsal or performance that the Lighting Technician or interns cannot.
· Design opportunities are available for qualified applicants.
· Manage lighting rental, labor, and equipment budget lines with the Director of Production & Facilities.
· Assist with facility maintenance projects as assigned by the Director of Production & Facilities.
· Two years’ experience as a supervisor in a lighting department (Master Electrician, Assistant Master Electrician, Lighting Supervisor, etc.). Academic experience accepted.
· Must be comfortable hanging, circuiting, patching, and focusing lights. Experience creating custom lighting fixtures or practicals is necessary. Must be qualified to set up, maintain, and run portable power and dimming systems safely.
· Must have broad knowledge of professional theatre practices. Formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary training and experience will all be considered.
· Must have knowledge of hazardous materials and their safe usage and disposal protocols. Verifiable training in hazardous materials and/or hazard communication is preferred.
· Strong drafting skills in Vectorworks is required.
· Experience in Lightwright, Microsoft Office, Dropbox, and Zoom is required.
· Must be able to drive cargo vans and a 24’ box truck and possess a clean driving record. Specific vehicle training will be provided.
· Must have strong communication and time management skills, and ability to adapt to a fluctuating workload and fast-paced schedule.
· This position splits time between office and workshop environments.
· Must be comfortable using a variety of hand tools, stationary and portable power tools, and specialized equipment as found in a typical theatrical setting.
· Must be able to lift and move 50 pounds, climb stairs and ladders, and work in confined spaces.
· Must be comfortable working at heights up to 25 feet. Safety equipment and specific training will be provided.
Base compensation for this position is $45,000 a year, depending on experience and qualifications. This position is eligible for overtime after 40 hours a week.
STNJ offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, 403(b) retirement savings plan, paid vacation, personal and holiday leaves after a 90-day probationary period.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, and resume in PDF format to Melissa Barry, Production Coordinator, at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey has instituted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees. Proof of vaccination must be provided before beginning work. All employees must agree to adhere to The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey’s COVID Safety Plan.
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring, supporting, and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce. Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard for race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Applicants from historically underrepresented groups in the industry are encouraged to apply.
Jun 22, 2022
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.