The Greer Meister Group
At the Greer Meister Group, we believe that kids learn best when they’re having fun. With a focus on academic independence, we provide our students with an unparalleled level of support and engagement through one-on-one tutoring, meeting each child where that child is, and connecting learning to each child’s specific interests. We make sure that every child we work with is heard and respected and that parents are empowered to advocate for their children’s learning needs.
We believe in the joy in learning and that there’s nothing more fulfilling than to see a child have an “Aha!” moment when they make an educational breakthrough. The tutors on our team have diverse interests and pursuits, and we work hard to maintain a culture where we support each other’s work both as tutors and outside of tutoring. Whether it's through dance, drawing, storytelling, baking, or something entirely new, our tutors are empowered to bring their passions and pursuits to their work on our team to help our students succeed.
About the Role
We are looking to add a wonderful, enthusiastic, part-time, in-person tutor to our team.
We have openings for tutors in the following subject areas:
- Mathematics (AP Calc AB/BC required; AP Stats would be a plus!)
- Emerging Literacy (Orton Gillingham or similar a plus!)
- English and Language Arts
- Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science)
- Foreign Languages
- Standardized Test Prep (SAT, ACT, NYS ELA and Math exams, ISEE, SSAT, SHSAT, HCHS Entrance Exam, BJE, TACHS, HSPT, PSAT, and AP Exams)
If any of those sounds like you, you might be a great addition to our team of like-minded, supportive tutors!
Our tutors work on a part-time basis, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 3:00 - 9:00pm, anywhere from 6 to 30 hours per week. Unlike traditional teaching or tutoring, we are flexible and allow our tutors to set their own availability.
We find the candidates who do best in this role are those who have a passion for education but aren’t currently teaching full-time in a traditional classroom setting.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Teaching students one-on-one and/or in small groups at a location of our client’s choosing (home, library, etc) - While we may ask our team to tutor via video conferencing from time to time, we are primarily an in-person organization and are only hiring tutors with availability for in-person instruction.
- Maintaining consistent communication with parents, colleagues, and managing director
- Participating in occasional trainings and team-building activities
- Learning from and sharing your knowledge with other members of the team
What we’ll love about you:
- You have previous experience working with students in one or more of the subject areas listed above.
- You’re excited when a student achieves those “Aha!” moments.
- You strongly believe that kids learn best when they're having fun.
- You believe that every child deserves to be heard and respected, and parents deserve to be empowered to advocate for their children’s learning needs.
- You’re flexible and eager to meet each child where that child is and adapt your work to meet each child's needs.
- You show flexibility, empathy and understanding, and are able to travel to meet students in their homes
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- You’re willing to try new things and have a desire to learn new skills.
- You pride yourself on your flexible thinking and your ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
What you’ll love about us:
- We offer flexible scheduling that works with your daily life.
- We offer extremely competitive compensation.
- We provide opportunities to continue your professional development through employer-paid courses and training.
- We are a team of kind, supportive, and caring individuals who learn and grow together.
- We encourage our tutors to be creative with their lessons, and we value your insights into what works best for each child; we don’t demand you follow a rigidly-prescribed curriculum.
- We are dedicated to a strengths-based, neurodiversity-affirming approach.
- Our team comes from a diverse variety of backgrounds, and we love supporting each other’s work outside of tutoring! We have tutors on our team who are authors, scientists, journalists, visual artists, dancers, actors, private and public school teachers, college professors, and more.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher)
- Minimum of six hours of availability Monday - Thursday between the hours of 3:00pm-9:00pm (3:00pm-6:00pm if your speciality is working with preschool and/or elementary school students)
- Availability to teach in-person in Manhattan and Brooklyn
- Willingness to teach via video conferencing (i.e. Zoom, FaceTime, or equivalent)
Pay: $55 - $100 per hour
Please send your resume with an email outlining the subjects you can tutor to [email protected]
$55.00 – $100.00 per hour
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.