Pioneer Theatre Company
Salt Lake City, UT
$1,202 weekly minimum (LORT B)
Mary P. Costello, Production Stage Manager
August, 2021 through May/June, 2022
Equity’s contracts prohibit discrimination. Equity is committed to diversity and encourages all its employers to engage in a policy of equal employment opportunity designed to promote a positive model of inclusion. As such, Equity encourages performers of all ethnicities, gender identities, and ages, as well as performers with disabilities, to submit.
Equity stage managers for 2021-22 season (see breakdown).
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB FUNCTION:
Stage Manager is responsible for stage managerial duties including coordination and supervision of the stage management department (AEA assistant stage managers, production assistants and stage management interns) in collaboration with the Production Stage Manager. SM supervises rehearsal studio and onstage activities, and participates in planning related to rehearsal preparation, rehearsals, staffing and stage management training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- During a typical seven-show season, the Stage Manager will call three or more productions and run the deck on three or more productions.
- Works with the Artistic Director, Production Stage Manager and Production Manager as an active participant in achieving artistic goals, ensuring consistent quality, guaranteeing a high level of performance, and preserving the highest production values for all Pioneer Theatre Company productions.
- Helps to maintain the stage management office as an organized and up-to-date center of communication.
- Works with Production Stage Manager to develop talented and dedicated run crew and other deck personnel. Provides timely feedback to ensure a great backstage team.
- Participates in the development of production assistants and stage management interns to ensure that they fully contribute to the process, develop skills, and advance their knowledge.
- Follows LORT/Equity work rules and hours; plans and publishes schedule overviews for rehearsals, technical rehearsals and performances; provides daily guidance and feedback to stage management staff in preparation and distribution of daily rehearsal calls.
- Ensures the creation, maintenance and accuracy of each production’s prompt script, run sheets, and production checklists for management and archive purposes.
- Provides daily feedback to ensure that rehearsal and performance reports are accurate and published in a timely manner.
- Additional duties as assigned.
WORKS CLOSELY WITH:
- Artistic Director
- Production Stage Manager
- Production Manager
- Technical Director
- Shop Heads
- Resident and Guest Designers - Guest Directors
- Actors and Guest Artists
- Company Manager
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Five years’ experience as an Equity Stage Manager working in professional theatre, including LORT Contract, Production Contract, and/or touring experience
- Experience with large musicals involving various types of scenery and action
- Ability to maintain artistic direction
- Experience with rehearsing understudies and/or replacements
- Computer proficient in the Microsoft Suite and online file sharing programs
- Capacity to solve problems and engage in creative thinking to overcome challenges
- Well-developed communication skills
- Works well in a stressful environment with many personality types
- Maturity and understanding of the artistic process; excellent interpersonal, teamwork and diplomacy skills
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment
- Knowledge and experience with Equity, SDC, USA
- Technical knowledge of safe workplace procedures
- Ability to work hours (including some holidays) as specified in the LORT contract.
- Available for seasonal, constant employment from mid-August through mid-May, with possible extension into June
Pioneer Theatre Company is committed to being a welcoming community that reflects and enacts the values of diversity, equity and inclusion that inform artistic excellence. We are actively working to repair past harms, prevent future harms, and build a more equitable, just and inclusive institutional culture where all are welcome to thrive.
To that end, we are seeking a diverse pool of candidates, and strongly encourage all BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, and those whose identities intersect with multiple communities and lived experiences to apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume to our Production Stage Manager, Mary P. Costello, at email@example.com.
LORT Non-Rep $1,202 weekly minimum (LORT B)