Title: Production Manager
Department: Production Department
Reports To: Associate Director of Production
Supervises: IATSE Local 1 crew during opera/musical theatre events
Internal Contacts: Students, Faculty, Staff
External Contacts: Overhire crew, IATSE Local 1 administration, guest artists, designers, theatrical equipment vendors including lighting, rigging, scene shops
Start Date: ASAP
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt Domains:
OPERA/MUSICAL THEATRE PRODUCTIONS
- Assume the role of Production Manager for all Opera and Musical Theatre (OMT) Productions, including those that are produced using online/virtual formats.
- Working with the Associate Director of Production and Managing Director of Opera and Musical Theater, the Production Manager will schedule and lead all production meetings.
- In collaboration with the Managing Director of Opera and Musical Theater, build and maintain a detailed production budget.
- In consultation with the Associate Director of Production, build and maintain detailed labor budgets for each production.
- Working with the Associate Director of Production and Managing Director of Opera and Musical Theater, create and maintain production calendars for all productions. These should include production deadlines, production meetings, load-ins, tech rehearsals, orchestra rehearsals, performances, and strike.
- Serve as the primary contact for all designers (for the foreseeable future, this will include digital/virtual performance designers and/or companies).
- Help facilitate designers making deadlines and adhering to budgets.
- Source bids for all necessary departments after designs are approved.
- Maintain MSM equipment inventory across venues and call out any conflicts between spaces based on the performance calendar.
- Provide support for the rehearsal room (including online rehearsal rooms) by managing rehearsal report requests, checking in on rehearsal room needs and communicating with stage management.
- Under the guidance of the Associate Director of Production, hire all necessary production staff, including department heads, show crew and load-in/strike labor.
- Create a crew schedule based upon the production calendar that fits within the labor budget.
- Coordinate payroll with the Associate Director of Production and Associate Production Manager.
- Make purchases and approve expenses within the preapproved budgets.
- When on-site, in-person performances resume, provide management oversite in the theatre from load-in through strike.
- When on-site, in-person performances resume, coordinate repairs and maintenance during the run of the show.
- Present a final, reconciled budget after load-in and strike.
- Run post-mortem meetings to help improve the process in which MSM produces OMT productions.
PRODUCTION OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE WORK
- Assist Production Office staff with creation and communication of crew schedule.
- Assist Production Office staff with processing of payroll for full-time, overhire, and student staff.
- Assist with concert production as time and schedule allow.
MSM SUMMER/PRECOLLEGE PRODUCTIONS
- Act as point person for MSM Summer and MSM Precollege productions.
- Create production calendars for productions.
- Schedule and run production meetings.
- Manage all rehearsal needs and process rehearsal report requests.
- Communicate the resources that can realistically be used to the creative team and staff.
- Serve as onsite support during the summer months.
- 3+ years of production management experience
- Working understanding of the operations of Carpentry/Rigging; Automation; Lighting; Sound; Props; Costumes
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Zoom, Vectorworks required
- Must be able to read and evaluate technical drawings; ability to draft is a plus, but not required
- Experience with IATSE crews and contracts preferred.
- Professional demeanor, superior communication skills. Comfort in high-pressure situations, adaptable, solution-orientated and skilled collaboration
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work irregular and extended working hours.
- Ability to move throughout the theatre and office environment and continuously perform essential functions for an extended period of time.
- Familiarity with digital/online performance medium a big plus.
Send letter of application and résumé including three references to:
Associate Director of Production
No phone calls, please.
Equal employment and equal educational opportunity have been and will continue to be fundamental principles at Manhattan School of Music, where employment and enrollment are based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination or harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, the status of being transgender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Manhattan School of Music does not permit retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice or participate in an investigation.