Beth Morrison Projects
Beth Morrison Projects (BMP) is seeking a full-time Production Manager.
The Production Manager will serve as a technical liaison between BMP and its collaborators—including composers, directors, music directors, designers, production staff, venues, presenters, and external vendors. They will be responsible for advancing technical needs for BMP touring and world premiere productions as well as ongoing operational duties.
The Production Manager reports to BMP’s Director of Production, Creative Producer and Executive Director.
Responsibilities of the role include:
· Building production schedules, setting production timelines/deadlines, and leading production meetings;
· Determining rental and crew needs for all technical departments, in conjunction with production designers and venue production managers;
· Planning and executing the load in and load out of BMP projects, as well as any developmental workshop or technical rehearsal needs;
· Assisting designers with the execution and realization of their designs, while adhering to project budgets
· Purchasing and expense tracking
· Writing and revising technical riders to accompany BMP contracts, ensuring that all aspects of the production are well documented
· Soliciting bids from shops and vendors for the construction of scenery/props/costumes and rental of audio/video/lighting/backline needs
· Determine and execute packing, shipping, and cartage needs for BMP projects.
· Manage storage of production related items as well as equipment owned by BMP used across productions
BMP is a traveling company and the Production Manager will be expected to travel for projects.
· 3-5 years of technical theatre experience, including a minimum of 1 year of Production Management experience in the performing arts
· Proficiency in Vectorworks/AutoCAD software
· Broad understanding of all areas of technical production
· Bachelors or Masters degree; or comparable experience in theatrical production
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and proactive individual with excellent communication and project management skills. The ability to juggle multiple projects and find creative solutions to problems large and small is crucial. They should thrive working with a small, tight-knit group of ambitious theater makers. A good knowledge of the NYC cultural community, local rental shops and suppliers, as well as performance venues and rehearsal spaces will be helpful. Previous experience in music/opera is a plus.
We are looking for someone who will be available for the fall/winter season.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and the “Production Manager” in the subject line.
5 days a week (approximately 40 hours per week). Evening and weekend work as needed. In Spring 2022, anticipated 1-2 days a week in the office. Full-time salary $55,000 plus benefits.
BMP is an equal opportunity employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws.
About Beth Morrison Projects
Since 2006, Beth Morrison Projects (BMP) has been an industry disruptor and tastemaker at the forefront of musical and theatrical innovation by commissioning, developing, producing and touring the groundbreaking new works of living composers and their collaborators, which take the form of opera-theatre, music-theatre, and vocal-theatre. BMP encourages risk-taking and the result is provocative works that represent a dynamic and lasting legacy for a new American canon.
The 2014 bi-coastal expansion to Los Angeles sprang from growing partnerships and relationships with institutions such as LA Opera, the LA Phil, Ford Theatres, Center Theatre Group and RVCC. During the 2018-19 and 2019-20 season, BMP will have produced 185 performances on 5 continents. BMP’s commitment to cutting edge musical expression has created “its own genre" (Opera News) of originality. In 2013, Beth Morrison Projects and HERE Arts Center co-founded the PROTOTYPE Festival, which showcases contemporary opera-theatre and music-theatre projects over ten days each January. The New Yorker recently wrote that the festival is “Essential to the evolution of American Opera,” and the New York Times called the festival “Bracingly innovative… a point of reference.”
Always on “the edge of innovation" (Opera News), BMP has developed a trailblazing program, BMP: Next Generation, to identify and foster the next generation of opera composers. This crucial initiative is a prime example of the transformative and boundary-shattering programming for which BMP has been known for over a decade. Other current and upcoming projects include works by composers Ricky Ian Gordon, Ted Hearne, Mary Kouyoumdjian, David T. Little, Zhou Long, Elvis Perkins, Emma O’Halloran, Ellen Reid, Huang Ruo, Sarah Kirkland Snider, Du Yun, and more, with directors Michael Counts, James Darrah, Lee Sunday Evans, Patricia McGregor, Michael Joseph McQuilken, and Ashley Tata.
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.