University Resident Theatre Association (URTA)
New York, NY 10036
URTA works to help ensure the continued renewal of the American theatre by supporting the professional training of new and diverse artists.
Founded in 1969, URTA continues to develop programs and services that answer the needs of university theatres, professional training programs, and individual artists. Whether it’s articulating the highest standards for professional training, helping to match potential students with the MFA program best suited to their needs, supporting engagement of professional artists at universities, or expanding the scope of our education and career outreach programs, URTA sets the stage for emerging theatre artists, and professional advancement.
The URTA Artist Engagement Service is the only nonprofit paymaster service of its kind, facilitating the hiring of professional guest artists in theatres of all sizes, universities, development labs, cultural institutions, and even supports individual artists producing their own work. The service includes generation of payroll, tax reporting, employer pension/health contributions, workers compensation, unemployment insurance, and more.
Standing agreements with theatrical unions allow URTA to operate as “Producer of Record” for union contracts, bringing professionals to colleges and training programs that might otherwise be restricted in engaging union artists.
The program annually services more than 700 artists and staff in more than 250 productions, enabling artist earnings of more than $1.5M.
The Project Manager is the primary client, artist, and union liaison for the Artist Engagement Service. Responsibilities include responding to inquiries, collecting client and artist information, and generating quotes, service agreements and invoices. The Project Manager works closely with the URTA accounts staff to produce necessary documents and information required for execution of payroll, benefits, etc.
The Project Manager is currently supported by the Administrative Assistant, as is the rest of the URTA staff. The Project Manager may also be supported by seasonal internships from time to time.
Though the project manager may occasionally provide support for other programs at URTA, principal responsibilities are associated with the Artist Engagement Service. Duties include:
· Collect documents and information from clients, in order to generate accurate invoice and enable execution of contracts, artist payments, and weekly reports.
· Generate appropriate service agreement based on project type. Work with Executive Director on requests for revisions to the standard service agreements.
· Facilitation of various union contracts, including bonding process, generation of riders, overseeing the delivery of contracts to artists and return of countersigned agreements.
· Oversight and troubleshooting for the run of each project. Answer client and artist questions, respond to union concerns or requests, and provide overall customer service.
· Work closely with General Manager to update billing based on changing production needs such as overtime, union dues requests, changes to casting, etc.
· Maintain up-to-date record of pay rates, benefit contributions, and other provisions of various union contracts. Maintain accurate rates for other payroll liabilities including unemployment, workers compensation, etc., which impact client billing.
· Keep standardized records of project files within the URTA filing systems.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication, organization and time management skills, and be comfortable with detail work. Patience and flexibility are essential qualities for the position.
A background in the arts and/or familiarity with theatrical contracts is a plus.
A facility with Microsoft Office programs is essential, particularly Excel.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, and ANTI-RACISM
As an organization made up of educators and artists focused on the discovery and fostering of new talent, we acknowledge and value the absolute necessity of applied efforts in equity, diversity, and inclusion. We assert that these values are essential as an active practice on every level of recruitment, hiring, teaching, and production.
Starting annual salary range $48k-$50k, depending on experience and qualifications. Employer sponsored health plan. Retirement contribution after qualifying period.
July 5, 2021 -