Syracuse Stage, the professional theatre in residence at Syracuse University, is accepting applications for a Prop Assistant . We are in the process of hiring multiple positions in the prop shop, and are looking for individuals whose skill sets complement each other.
The production department and shops support both the professional productions of Syracuse Stage and those of the Syracuse University Department of Drama. Employees work with professionals and undergraduates in all areas.
Syracuse Stage is committed to anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, on and offstage, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Syracuse Stage acknowledges with respect the Onondaga Nation, firekeepers of the Haudenosaunee, the indigenous people on whose ancestral lands Stage stands. https://www.onondaganation.org.
Candidates from underrepresented groups and those who share these values and have demonstrable experience advocating for anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employee will be subject to all COVID-19 protocols set forth by government, Syracuse University, and partner unions, including but not limited to, documentation of vaccination or documentation of medical/sincerely held religious exemption from vaccination.
Please complete our online submission form located here.
- If you have any difficulty with submitting via the google form, please email materials to HR@SyracuseStage.org
We ask for materials in written form, but we invite applicants to share using whatever format best supports their skill set, be it written, audio, or video. Alternatives to a digital portfolio can be a link to a website, a social media account that predominantly contains relevant work, or a shared platform (such as a google folder).
All applications will be reviewed and some will be selected to submit additional information. Leading candidates will be interviewed.
Please include the following items in your application:
- Examples of relevant work (process images - steps and/or finished)
- A cover letter
The Prop assistant is part of a 3-person staff, They will report directly to the Prop Shop Supervisor and work closely with the Prop Craftsperson, and students to build and modify a variety of large and small props for 12 plus theater productions a year, support the day to day in the shop maintenance, and maintain inventory. This position is ideal for those who enjoy both management and construction.
The props shop encompasses two workspaces: a woodshop for construction and small paintwork, and a clean shop for sewing, delicate crafts, and paper props. The shop also has four inventory storage locations: two off-site warehouses, and two on-site rooms. The Prop shop is one of three shops, together with the Paints shop & Scenery shop, that make up the Scenic Department. Regular collaboration between these shops is to be expected. The large majority of the Prop Assistant's work will occur in the Props Department, however cross-departmental work assignments can and do occur.
The description of the position in this document is representative and not exhaustive. Regular collaboration between shops in the production department and the wider organization is expected. Duties and responsibilities may shift with organizational needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Together with fellow Props staff, help to keep the Prop Shop, and its tools and materials, clean, safe, and well maintained.
- Support the workflow of projects through the shop, sometimes managing small groups.
- Support, Maintain and organize an inventory of props, materials, and supplies
- Participate in the planning, budgeting, fabrication, modification, and acquisition of all props and furniture for performance and rehearsal for all shows in a timely fashion.
- Inspect props and furniture for damage
- Source and shop items locally and/or online or pull from materials already in-stock
- Assist in material shopping as needed
- Draft or draw build plans on assigned projects depending on an individual's skillset
- Read the scripts to develop a working knowledge of each production and stay current on show status
- Assist with updating paperwork and taking meeting notes
- Participate in strike and load in
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
- Demonstrate the capacity to remain organized and flexible
- Time management
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate well verbally and when written
- Demonstrate a detail-oriented approach to projects and assignments
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative on projects and assignments when working individually, in groups, and without direct supervision
- Demonstrate strong time management and project assessment capabilities
- Quick learners with related skills and experience
- Comfortable with a fast-paced environment
- Possess relevant professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Ideal Candidate Skills:
- Build knowledge and experience in either prop carpentry or artisan work (examples including but not limited to: machine and hand sewing, patterning, carving, metalwork, furniture repair, painting, woodturning, photoshop, prop crafts, upholstery, casting, photoshop, leatherworking, drafting, etc.)
- Period style knowledge
- Comfortable adjusting work to fit a changing timeline
- Reading and following construction drawings
- Comfortable learning and using spreadsheets and database computer programs
- Interpreting and building from designer drawings or research pictures
- Supporting less experienced builders in developing skills
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Working on ladders and in lifts
- Lifting 50lbs.
- Climbing stairs while carrying items
- Routine physical exertion
- Execute tasks using small and large motor skills
- The use of safety equipment and/or specific precautions is required, under the supervision and with instruction.
Position Dates & Salary Information:
- Full-time seasonal, position
- Guaranteed 40 hour work week; some weekends; overtime may be required, paid at time-and-a-half rate
- Generous benefits package, including health insurance
- Typical schedule is Monday-Friday, 9:00am - 5:30pm
- Start date targeted for mid-July, 2021, negotiable
- End date in late May 2022
- Pay rate is $16.00 per hour