The Watermill Center
Water Mill, NY
The Watermill Center seeks a Residency & Exhibitions Manager to join our Artist Programs department. Reporting to the Artist Programs Director, this integral member of the on-site team will manage and support The Watermill Center’s multidisciplinary artist residency programs, fellowships, exhibitions, and special projects. The ideal candidate is highly collaborative, detail-oriented, and committed to the arts and artists. The Residency & Exhibitions Manager will work closely with the Artist Programs Director, Curator, International Summer Program staff, and Facilities team to create a seamless experience and nurturing work environment for all resident and visiting artists. Candidates should have a background in arts administration/artist management and/or experience in a non-profit arts setting.
About The Watermill Center
Founded in 1992 by Robert Wilson, The Watermill Center is an interdisciplinary laboratory for the arts and humanities situated on ten acres of Shinnecock ancestral territory on Long Island’s East End. With an emphasis on creativity and collaboration, Watermill offers artist residencies and education programs that integrate contemporary artistic practice with resources from the humanities and research from the sciences.
Situated at 39 Watermill Towd Rd, a 20,000-square-foot main facility houses a Study Library, Art Collection, spaces for rehearsals, performances, and exhibitions, a kitchen with dining areas, and office space. The Artist Residence, at 11 Watermill Towd Road, is a 10,000-square-foot facility with eight private bedrooms, a kitchen, living areas, and an amphitheater. The Art Collection consists of 5,000+ works of art and artifacts, ranging from ancient to contemporary, including numerous museum-quality works from Indonesia, Africa, and Oceania, as well as works by contemporary artists such as Paul Thek, Donald Judd, Bruce Nauman, Robert Mapplethorpe, Agnes Martin, among others.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate artist selection processes, including tracking of applications and liaising with selection committees
- Manage all logistical aspects of artist residencies, including pre-arrival communications, contracts, transportation, housing, orientation, workspace preparation, material and technical needs, exit procedures, etc.
- Manage logistics for artist fellowships, including transportation, housing, materials/equipment
- Work alongside summer program staff to liaise with accepted artists, including coordinating artist travel, housing, and project needs for the International Summer Program
- Provide daily, ongoing support and act as main point of contact for artists working/living on-site throughout the year
- Work with Artist Programs Director to maintain and monitor program budgets
- Work with Education and Public Programs Manager to plan and execute events that include artist participation (e.g., In Process, Viewpoints Lecture Series, Community Day, etc.)
- Work with Artist Programs Director and Development department to coordinate artist participation in fundraising and cultivation events
- Work with Communications department to gather collateral on resident artists and their projects
- Work with Facilities team to ensure that artist housing is well-maintained and stocked with necessary amenities
- Manage year-round and summer interns
- Collaborate with Curator, Artist Programs Director, and Managing Director to plan, and execute on-site and off-site exhibitions
- Liaise with artists and their representatives on contracts and logistics
- Book and coordinate art handlers and technicians as needed
- Work with Education and Public Programs manager to design and execute exhibition programming and public and private tours
- Liaise with Facilities team to coordinate site preparation and restoration
- Work with Curator to manage artist commissions and sale of works as needed
- Work with Communications Manager to maintain alumni database and foster ongoing relationships with alumni artists
- Work with Artist Programs Director to strategize around alumni events and program offerings
- Work with Director of Finance to administer the fiscal sponsorship program for alumni and local artists
- Conduct on-site tours of The Watermill Center building, grounds, collection, and exhibitions as needed
- Provide general support during on-site special events
- Assist in handling items from the WMC Collection, which are sometimes fragile and/or heavy
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience in non-profit administration and fluency in producing and/or artist management
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of contemporary arts and the cultural sector with a demonstrated commitment to supporting artists and the arts
- Highly collaborative and able to work in a fast-paced, communal environment
- Experience creating and managing budgets
- Collaborative, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience managing simultaneous projects, prioritizing tasks, and adapting to changing priorities
- Proficiency in Google and Microsoft Suites, Slack, Zoom, and adopting new digital tools
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends for special events and public programs
This full-time position is located at The Watermill Center in Water Mill, NY. Monday - Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, with some weekend hours. 15 days vacation, dates to be approved by supervisor; 11 major public holidays; 5 personal days; Option for health and dental insurance benefits; option for 401(k) plan. Salary range between $60,000 and $65,000, depending on experience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject heading ”Residency & Exhibitions Manager.” Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No emails or phone calls, please.
The Watermill Center, operated by the Byrd Hoffman Water Mill Foundation, is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
$60,000.00 – $65,000.00 per year
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.