Ensemble Theatre Company
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB FUNCTION:
A key position at Ensemble Theatre Company, the Technical Director (TD) manages all the Scenic elements related to company productions and events. The TD position should be held by an individual who has extensive understanding of theater drafting, mechanical and electrical engineering, welding and great organizational skills. The TD also acts as Shop Foreman for the scenic shop facility and supervises training and scheduling of all over-hires for all fabrication and installation requirements. In consultation with the Production Manager, the TD requests bids and purchases materials and creates construction drawings. The TD optimizes scenic department workflow, ensures facilities and equipment are in excellent operating order, and guarantees that material resources are available on a timely basis. The TD works closely with the Scenic Designer and other creatives to make certain that designs are realized in a timely and cost-effective basis. Flexibility and positivity are key.
1. Plan and draft all shows.
2. Budget and set due dates for set pieces with the PM.
3. Organize and run the scene shop.
4. Ordering and vendor research.
5. Act as Master Carp.
6. Hire and manage shop, load in and load out over-hires.
7. Safety and cleaning of shop and some theater facilities.
8. Plan and lead load-ins and strikes.
9. Improvements to the shop and theatre.
10. Watch and take notes during tech.
11. Manage tech note implementation.
12. Attend Production meetings as applicable.
July 21, 2021 -