Mark Morris Dance Group
The Visitor Services Assistant (VSA) is an essential role in the organization that provides on-site support across all departments at the Dance Center and serves as the first point of contact for all general inquiries (in-person, phone, email). Additionally, a VSA manages access to the facility, ensuring the space is welcoming for all, and works to support programs that celebrate dance in a fully inclusive working and learning environment. Together with the Operations Team, a VSA creates vital bridges across our Artistic, Education, Operations, and Facilities departments and embodies our Core Values throughout their interactions with our community. Our ideal candidate is a team player: personable, patient, friendly, responsive, and focused on providing a high standard of customer service for all MMDG visitors. This is a part-time regular (minimum 20 hrs/wk) position reporting to the Associate Director of Visitor Services.
The successful candidate joins a community of kind and dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris's commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that the arts have in connecting and engaging communities. MMDG is committed to ongoing and sustained equity and inclusion work. All staff are expected to be actively engaged and dedicated to upholding our Core Values: celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure, and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity. Staff members also have opportunities to shape the culture of the organization through our Work, Life and Culture Committee working groups at a time when we are revamping our IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access) action plan, initiating an ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) strategic plan, and more.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
• Serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for MMDG programs, greeting visitors and sharing information about daily and upcoming classes and events.
• Proactively address visitor concerns and, when needed, deescalate conflict.
• Work with the facilities team to respond to requests from studio users (faculty, staff, renters) including but not limited to inquiries regarding temperature, resources, maintenance, cleaning and equipment.
• Field inquiries about MMDG and Dance Center programs (School, Adult, Rental, Dance for PD, Wellness Center, Community Education) by phone, ZenDesk CMS, email, and in-person, serving as a liaison between students, renters and administrative staff.
• Proactively address visitor concerns and, when needed, deescalate conflict.
• Keep an ear to the ground for Visitor feedback to relay back to the Operations, Education and Community Engagement teams.
Building Access and Safety Management
• Manage the check-in process and provide wayfinding support for all employees and Dance Center visitors.
• Assist with upholding and enforcing Dance Center safety policies including capacity restrictions, MMDG’s community agreement, and our lobby and studio policies.
• Serve as fire safety personnel and assist in the event of an emergency at the Dance Center.
• Document and report injuries and medical emergencies, occurrences of trespassing, theft, disrupting or violent activity and any other health or safety related issues that occur at the Dance Center.
• Open and/or close the building (dependent on scheduling)
Programs and Administrative Support
• Support registration, streaming and class equipment needs for Education and Community Engagement programming.
• Serve as a liaison for on-site faculty and address questions and concerns in the moment whenever possible.
• First Aid CPR/AED Certification + refresher courses offered annually
• FDNY Certificate of Fitness F03 (Place of assembly emergency personnel) + recertification (required every 3 years).
• Bystander / De-escalation Training – offered annually
• Minimum of 20 hours/three shifts per week. Friday and Saturday availability is required. Ability to cover Sundays as needed a plus.
• Candidates must commit to an ongoing schedule, determined upon hire, and be willing to flex their schedule to provide coverage depending on staffing needs.
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE IF YOU:
• Have Strong Interpersonal Skills: You love talking to people and can communicate with MMDG’s wide ranging constituency.
• Have Patience and Grace in Spades: You can be firm on policies and procedures but flexible in managing people and relationships.
• Are a Team Player: You work well as a member of a group. You take ownership for the responsibilities you hold while also collaborating with your colleagues.
• Love the Performing Arts and Our Work: You find joy in creating community around a shared appreciation for dance and music and you genuinely appreciate the ways in which we pursue excellence in all that we do, celebrate our diverse community, advance access, exposure and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivate creativity.
• 2+ years of customer service experience
• An understanding of and interest in the New York dance field and cultural sector
• Superb attention to detail and demonstrate excellent time management skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English required, additional languages a plus)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite/Google Drive
• Experience working with MindBody, EMS, Authorize.net, and/or Active a plus
• Punctual, reliable and dedicated to your work
• Compliance with MMDG COVID-19 Safety Plan and Vaccination Policy
This job will occasionally require you to:
• Lift, push, pull, hold, and/or carry objects and equipment weighing up to 25 lbs.
• Move throughout the building
• Remain in a stationary position working on a computer for the length of a shift (5-8 hours)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
• Starting wage: $20 per hour
• Benefits package includes: Paid vacation (20 hours/year), sick leave (up to 56 hours/year), holidays and bonus days; Pre-tax Commuter benefit; Access to Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Access to free and discounted classes at the Dance Center and online
• Access to special events and MMDG performances (when available)
• Invitations to cultural events extended to other staff members by community partners
• Applications accepted through our website – www.mmdg.org/jobs
• Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
• Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You will be asked to submit the following as part of your online application:
• 1-page Cover Letter addressed to Alex Irish, Associate Director of Visitor Services answering the questions listed below.
• Complete résumé highlighting relevant experience
The cover letter should include answers to each of the following questions:
• Why are you interested in working at the Mark Morris Dance Group?
• The Dance Center Visitor Services Assistant will be called upon to manage safety and security protocols and work directly with the public. What relevant skills and experiences would you bring to this work?
• MMDG is a values-driven organization; please review our core values of Community, Excellence, Creativity, and Access and discuss an instance in your professional career where you have demonstrated at least one of them.
• The position is open until filled. Immediate start date ideal.
• Please note that some candidate interviews will be conducted by video using the Zoom (https://zoom.us/) video communications application. Please download the application in advance and have a functioning camera and speaker on your device. MMDG can also provide candidates with reasonable accommodations, if needed.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status. It is the policy of MMDG to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). MMDG does not discriminate against any qualified employees or job applicants with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment because of a person’s physical or mental disability. MMDG makes reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not require significant difficulty or expense.
$20.00 – $20.00 per hour