Abbey's Theatre


Abbey’s Theatre, located at 1396 Broadway at 38th Street, opened on November 8, 1893. Later renamed the Knickerbocker, it premiered the operetta The Red Mill in 1906, and producer Charles Dillingham built a large windmill outside of the theatre to advertise the musical. This was Broadway’s first moving electrical sign. The theatre was demolished in 1930.

Read Full "At This Theatre"
  • Built: 1893
  • Number of Seats: 1500
  • Longest Running Show: The Ballad Monger
  • Performances: 1,799