Originally known as The Horse Shoe Stage, the theatre was built in 1955 by actor/director Robert Beecher, a graduate of The Pasadena Playhouse School of Theatre. The theatre opened in January 1956 with Carson McCullers' The Member of the Wedding, directed by and starring James Edwards (known for his leading role in Home of the Brave), a pioneering actor of his time. Tickets were only $1.65!
Manuel Cruz owned the theatre during the 1970s, renaming it the Zephyr. Lee Sankowich purchased the theater in 1978 and has produced and directed many original works on its stage. He currently serves as Artistic Director for both The Marin Theatre Company and Center Rep in Northern California. Since the late '80s, Linda Toliver and Gary Guidinger have been its guardians, managing and/or co-producing a wide range of theatrical and performing events, from original works to the classics.
Throughout the decades, productions at the Zephyr have garnered numerous awards for excellence in LA theatre, with many shows moving on to larger
venues in New York and other major cities. The theatre is routinely visited by film, television and Broadway actors, writers and directors who drop by with fond memories of their time on the stage. The Zephyr is proud to celebrate its 50th Anniversary in January 2006 with a revival of Del Shores
Longest Running Show: The Little Dog Laughed