The summer line-up at Joe's Pub, the downtown cabaret space just off the Public Theater, is as eclectic as ever and includes some prominent theatre artists. Perhaps the best known among the performers is Sandra Bernhard, who will appear July 12-14, July 19-21 and July 26-28. The actress performance artist has starred in such Off-Broadway one-person shows as Without You, I'm Nothing and I'm Still Here, Damn It. The latter transferred for brief Broadway run two seasons ago.
Bernhard will bring her usual mix of comedy, commentary and tongue-in cheek song stylings to Joe's Pub. Backing her up will be a five-piece combo.
Preceding Bernhard at the nightspot is Diamanda Galas, described by press materials as "the ultimate diva of classical Goth rock." The Downtown theatre staple will perform her own compositions July 8, 15, and 22.
The stage of Joe's Pub will also provide a forum for advance publicity for this year's New York City International Fringe Festival. On July 31, the annual fest, produced by Off-Off-Broadway's Present Company, will hold a sneak preview of the Fringe's coming attractions.
A selection of acts coming to Joe's Pub this summer runs as follows: • Diamanda Galas: July 8, 15, 22; Tickets are $30
• Sandra Bernhard: July 12-14, 19-21, 26-28; Tickets are $30
• AYO, a union of tap and Latin music, from Savion Glover's Not Your Ordinary Tappers, July 23, 30; Tickets at $20
• Fringe NYC Sneak Preview, July 31; Tickets are $10
• Performance artist Colleen Werthmann presents her latest solo show; Tickets are 12
• Performance artist and singer Queen Esther in her show, Unemployed Superstar, Aug. 25, Sept. 1, 8; Tickets are $12
Joe's Pub is located at 425 Lafayette Street, just off the Public Theater. For more information, call (212) 539-8643.
--By Robert Simonson