Let's hear it for the boys: Six songwriters have been nominated for the score of Footloose, in the category of Best Original Score Written for the Theatre.
The Footloose score is a mix of songs culled form the 1984 film and new tunes written to flesh out the characters for the stage version.
The nominees include:
* Composer Tom Snow, who has written hits for Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Barry Manilow and others. He has been nominated for Academy Awards and Grammy Awards.
* Lyricist Dean Pitchford, the onetime actor who has penned hit songs including "Let's Hear it for the Boy" and "Footloose," as well as the Academy Award-winning "Fame."
* Jim Steinman, known for Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" and Andrew Lloyd Webber's Whistle Down the Wind.
* Former Raspberries singer-songwriter Eric Carmen.
* Van Halen hard-rocker Sammy Hagar.
* Kenny Loggins, whose hits include "Footloose" and "This is It."
Although the tunes by the latter four may have originated in the film, the writers have nevertheless been nominated for the Tony.