Australian Ballet Dancers Withdraw From Gala, Claiming Pressure From China

Classic Arts News   Australian Ballet Dancers Withdraw From Gala, Claiming Pressure From China
 
Two Australian Ballet dancers have dropped out of a Chinese New Year event in Sydney, allegedly after being pressured by officials at the Chinese consulate, the Australian Associated Press reports.

An official at New Tang Dynasty Television, which sponsors the event and others like it around the world, said that the dancers were told to withdraw because of the network's alleged ties to the spiritual movement Falun Gong, which is banned in China.

According to Richard Chen, dancers Robert Curran and Lucinda Dunn were told that if they danced at the event on February 18 it would hurt their chances of getting visas to visit China. Australian Ballet is currently planning a tour to China.

A spokesperson for the Chinese consulate confirmed for the AAP that the dancers had been advised not to perform at the event. The two dancers were not available for comment.

Last year, Chinese officials deported a member of the Sydney Dance Company during a tour of China because he was allegedly carrying Falun Gong materials.


Recommended Reading:
 X

Blocking belongs
on the stage,
not on websites.

Our website is made possible by
displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by
whitelisting playbill.com with your ad blocker.
Thank you!